Now, if I can eat these eggs!!!

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by MelissaTXRn, Aug 20, 2013.

1. MelissaTXRn

MelissaTXRn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2013
    This is our first time as chicken owners. We have 2 Golden sex links that are about to start laying and 2 production reds that are only 7 weeks old.
    NOT sure if I will be able to eat the eggs. Lol
    The thought of that egg in that chicken grosses me out. I eat store bought eggs(not that often though) but something about these is grossing me out.
    Anyone have this issue?

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    I'm pretty sure that the store bought eggs also come out of the chickens' butts. [​IMG]

3. Frampton

Frampton Out Of The Brooder

We were so grossed out by eating the eggs at first that we actually threw away the first 2! Then I scrambled one and fed it to the wife without her knowing. She said it tasted great after she was finished being mad at me. Then we ate a lot of eggs, we are very proud to say that we raise chickens and consumer our own eggs.

4. MelissaTXRn

Jun 3, 2013
    Hahaaaa lol. I know that, silly. I think it is just seeing the entire process an what all they eat. I am not a big egg eater anyway. I love my hens though.

5. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    You are experiencing one of the great wonders of chickeens. THey challenge the way we think about food. Maybe someday you will be in awe of what a chicken can do instead of grossed out.

Perhaps this will work for you:
    Work into this slowly, what ever works for you. COllect the eggs, wash them and put them into cartons like from the grocery. In a couple days, pull out the carton and make muffins or similar. Give yourself time to get used to them.

My kids would NOT eat any of our farm fresh eggs for weeks. THey could taste the difference. Once I only had farm freshe ggs available, they got over it.

Be patient, the whole process will become acceptable with time.

1 person likes this.
  6. MelissaTXRn

Jun 3, 2013
    Thanks Arielle! That is GREAT advice!!! My dad grew up on a farm and said that fresh eggs are soooo much better. I guess we will see:)

7. BettyR

BettyR Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2008
    Texas Gulf Coast
    LOL, that's a new one. I grew up on home raised chickens and eggs so I guess that never crossed my mind but if your not used to eating food you produced yourself I guess I can see how it would take some getting used to.

8. MelissaTXRn

Jun 3, 2013
    LOL! We eat cows that we raise and I never have a problem eating them. We eat deer also. I think it is because eggs are on the verge of grossing me out anyway. Lol

9. BettyR

BettyR Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2008
    Texas Gulf Coast
    That would be awful, having your own lovely eggs and suddenly not liking them anymore. Homemade eggs are so much better than store eggs. They have so much more flavor.

10. CarolinaIsland

CarolinaIsland Out Of The Brooder

Feb 25, 2013
    Long Island, NY (Ridge)
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by