1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Now I'm confused!-Figured out!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Farmer Kitty, Oct 22, 2008.

1. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    On Saturday, Kute Kitten went out to do chicken chores and found a green egg. I had thought both EE's were laying brown eggs but, here's a green one so I thought maybe one hadn't been laying. We had a pullet egg show up 8/28 and I determined it was Muffy. Then, on 9/23, after Muffy's eggs had gotten larger, we started getting new pullet eggs again. I figured it was Charolette and the chances of green eggs were gone. Then came Saturday.

I have pullets from my Brown and Black sex-link hens with a Black sex-link roo. They are, as of today, 15 1/2 weeks (Season & Bella), 14 1/2 weeks (Red & Glenda), and 13 1/2 weeks (Fancy).

Yesterday afternoon when I collected there wasn't any of the new eggs. On Sunday, the new egg was laid late in the day, so I put Charolette in the crate. The new egg showed up on top of the crate. [​IMG] Okay, so it's not Charolette. I readied the crate and two small pens I have and put Muffy, Season, & Bella in them. This morning at 4:45 a.m. I head out to the chickens and find another new egg, but not with one of them penned separate! [​IMG]

I would say by the colors now that there are two new ones laying but, my girls lay brown eggs. These new ones are green and I dont' know what to call the other color (Kute Kitten calls it purple). So now I have found two more carriers to put Charolette and Red in. Mid morning I plan on going out to collect eggs and see what I find. Hopefully, Muffy and Charolette will have laid so I can rule them out--I'm beginning to think it can't be either. But why the colors we are getting in eggs? If it's the pullets I hatched they should be brown, shouldn't they?

[​IMG]
    Saturdays, Sundays, Mondays, Tuesdays, and this mornings.
    The two in the back are from my hens (the Mothers).

Last edited: Oct 23, 2008
  2. doodledoo

doodledoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 29, 2008
    Cartersville, GA
    Lucky you! I wish I would get a surprise like that - I would love to get some green eggs!

3. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Ohhh a mystery! Someone has EE in their genes!

4. Farmer Kitty

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Quote:That would be my thought. The parents are hatchery chicks, so who knows. By separating them, I'm hoping to find out who. Could I be lucky enough for it to be Sir Roo? Then all the pullets would have a chance at laying green. My neighbor hatched some from my girls too. She would be tickled pink (or maybe I should say green).

Last edited: Oct 22, 2008
  5. Attack Chicken

Attack Chicken [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Hu

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    Keep us posted on who laid the mystery egg!

6. Farmer Kitty

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    I will. I'm guess with the color difference it will be two pullets laying. [​IMG]

7. Farmer Kitty

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    I just came from the coop. So far, no new colored eggs. There were three from my hens so it's still early.

8. Farmer Kitty

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    3 more eggs from the hens. None of the pullet eggs. They are just going to torment me!

9. Farmer Kitty

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Charolette's egg late this afternoon. As you can tell it is a rather brittle one. But, I do think it has a green tint. I do know that she didn't lay the darker one late yesterday afternoon as it was laid on top of the pet crate she was in! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    I think it must be a pullet/s that have the EE gene and not Sir Roo. If Sir Roo had the gene you may get babies from him that may lay green eggs, but not the pullets that are currently residing there. You have quite an assortment of different tinted green eggs. Lucky you!!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by