Now I'm confused,

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Yukonchick, Apr 21, 2012.

1. Yukonchick

Yukonchick Chillin' With My Peeps

I plan on using the DLM method for our coop because I thought that it would be good for keeping the humidity down during the cold winters. Don't want frostbite or respirtory problems, but now as I understand being a dry floor means there is no fermentation happening so thus there will be no heat produced. Will my hens get cold? Will they be able to produce enough heat on their own.

2. gale65

gale65 Chillin' With My Peeps

Where do you live? As long as there are no drafts, you shouldn't need to provide any heat. There is a member that lives in Alaska and doesn't provide any heat for her chickens. You would have to keep water from freezing. We use a heated dog bowl for that.

I think keeping the humidity down is more important that heat.

3. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Again where do you live? Just keep the cold wind from blowing on them. The birds will snuggle to keep warm.

4. SleepyOwl

SleepyOwl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2012
    MN
    I have thought about that also. Does anyone know if adding some compost under the shavings work to start the composting? Just like you would in a composter?

5. gale65

The compost wouldn't stay under the shavings. The chickens would stir it all up and it would mix together.

6. Yukonchick

i live in the yukon territories. in winter the temp drops well below minus 35 celsius

7. Yukonchick

yukon territories where the temp gets well below minus 35 celsius

8. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    You don't "compost" inside a coop.
    The deep litter is there to keep it dry

They won't need any added heat unless it stays BELOW ZERO outside

9. gale65

Sounds like it gets way below zero. I don't know how people live like that. lol. I don't know anything about keeping chickens in temps that cold so I'll let someone else answer.

10. SleepyOwl

SleepyOwl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2012
    MN
    So the "fermentation" is different from composting? Now I am confused! lol

It goes below 0 often for a couple month in the winter here. We don't blink at -20F. If it gets below -30F, then we start saying "It's getting chilly out there!". ;) (BTW, I have no idea how we live like this either.... if it wasn't for family, I would probably move south. ;) ) (And I am in MN, I am sure it is much colder where the OP is.)

Last edited: Apr 22, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by