Now I'm scared- 2nd crossbeak developing

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Kezzie, Apr 7, 2009.

1. Kezzie

Kezzie Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Coastal Georgia
    I noticed last week that one of my 3 week old marans was developing a minor crossbeak. Now my beautiful white EE is getting one too. They are definitely developing, I would have noticed if they were born with it. In my thread about the first one, some told me that they only get worse and may need to be culled. Does anyone have happy crossbeak stories? I would do anything to not have to cull my babies...

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
  3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Most of the time, it is genetic. I cull crossbeaks, or I did when I got a couple with the Ameraucanas. Seems that EEs and Ameraucanas have more issues with this than any other types.

4. packmomma

packmomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2009
    Argos, IN
    ok dumb question but what is cross beak? Never heard of it and my chicken book didnt mention it.

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Top and bottom beak do not meet, they are offset. The birds can starve to death if they are not tended to with deep dishes so they can scoop their feed. The degree of the cross sometimes determines if they thrive or not. And it can get worse over time.

6. kycklingmamma

kycklingmamma Chillin' With My Peeps

I have a Australorp hen, about a year old, Violet, although we call her hairlip with love. She is a bit thinner than the other Australorps but lays eggs as often as the others. We have opted to feed all of our pullets crumbles instead of pellets, due to her inability to get the pellets in her mouth as easy. We also leave the feeder down on the ground once a day, so she can stick her head inside the whole feeder and therefor get more feed in her. She is doing really well, and I do not see the reason for culling her. I will not however let her hatch out any of her own eggs, I do believe the crowwbeak affliction is hereditary.

Good Luck, Kycklingmamma

7. Kezzie

Kezzie Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Coastal Georgia
    Here's a pic of my Cuckoo Maran with the crossbeak. Her whole beak looks funny but it's just happened in the last week or so.

[​IMG]

8. packmomma

packmomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2009
    Argos, IN
    Oh my! Glad I asked the question. Thankfully all mine look normal but thanks for the info.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by