1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Now I'm worried! Probably over nothing

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by JaciesCoop, Dec 9, 2007.

1. JaciesCoop

JaciesCoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2007
    Arizona
    Well I hope I can explain this so it makes sense. I have 4 cochin girls. They're 4 months and 2 weeks old. I've been told not to expect them to starting laying until about 8 months.
    Well my favorite is my black who is the sweetest thing. Always comes right to me and wants to be held and she also even though she is the smallest seems to be the leader of the pack. This morning when I went out to give them their treats she was not out in the run. When I went in to the run she came out of the coop and wanted to be held and then ate her breakfast. After that the other 3 stayed out in the run as they always do for the day. But not Hazel. She went back in. I waited about 30 mins and still no Hazel so I went out to the run. She still didn't come out. I went into the coop and there she was in one of the nesting box very comfy. I petted her and talked to her and she got up and showed me the nice hole she had made in the box and then proceeded to sit right back down and purr at me.
    She stayed there for about an hour and finally came out to play!
    Now what I'm worried about is this sure looks like she's trying to lay but isn't this way to early!!?? Should I be worried or is she just and early bloomer.
    Someone please tell me if I have something to worry about and also how long after this behavior starts should I expect an egg or as my hubby said is this just "false labor" [​IMG]

Thanks in advance for any words of wisdom.
    Jacie

2. nccountrygirl

nccountrygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2007
    Sanford N.C.
    She might be starting to lay earlier than the rest. I hope you get lots of eggs from her. Keep a look out, you might get an egg today. Laura

3. JaciesCoop

Aug 16, 2007
    Arizona
    Quote:Oh wow Laura: Would she be laying that early? How eggciting!!! She's out now roaming around. So who knows!! She talks to me all the time so I can't tell by that. She's a real jabbertalker![​IMG]

4. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

And sometimes they like to practice first too. So no worries!

5. JaciesCoop

Aug 16, 2007
    Arizona
    Quote:So maybe my hubby isn't far off with the "false labor" idea [​IMG]

6. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

They say Brahmas are also late bloomers and my Caroline was like that, laid at 30 weeks. Not my Lt. Brahma, Miranda, though. She laid her first egg at 19 weeks old! You sure could have an early bloomer, just like I did.

7. JaciesCoop

Aug 16, 2007
    Arizona
    Well is just proves that "nothing is set in stone" even when it comes to chickens.
    She is out running around now acting perfectly normal. So maybe it was just a test run [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by