now is the time to freeze eggs for the long dark days of winter!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Mrs. K, Jun 10, 2016.

1. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Overrun With Chickens

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    Beginning in November or even late October, the molt comes on, and eggs go off. I generally get a couple a week, enough for some fresh eating, but not enough for our needs.

Last year I had very good success with freezing eggs for use as scrambled or to bake with.

Frozen eggs for Baking:
    12 eggs stired until a light yellow but avoid whipping hard - puts too much air in them, and they don't keep as well
    2 tblespoons of sugar stir until dissolved

Pour into 12 muffin cups spreading it evenly among them, they won't be completely full

Freeze 24 hours - remove and bag, and freeze until needed. I like this method as if the recipe calls for two eggs, I just grab two "muffins" out of the bag. I place them in a bowl, and they are fairly closed to thawed in 30 minutes.

Frozen Eggs for Scrambled or Burritos:
    12 eggs + 1 1/2 tsp of salt
    Again stir slowly until well mixed, with the salt, but do not whip.
    One can divide this up as you use it in quart bags or smaller. I have a lot of family come home so I generally do a couple big bags with a dozen in it.

Freeze these flat - and they will thaw faster. I put them in the fridge overnight, and they were ready to go in the morning.

Mrs K

3 people like this.
  2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Thank you for the post Mrs. K!
    Very useful information.

3. Pendragonz

Pendragonz Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2015
    NWA
    Great information, food for thought. Unfortunately my chicks probably won't be laying before October. I will definitely remember this though for next year. Thank you.

4. karenerwin

karenerwin Overrun With Chickens

Jun 11, 2013
    Cedar Hill, Missouri
    Thanks Mrs. K I need 15 dozen + eggs for scrambled eggs for a Girl Scout outing. I have 9 dozen I put in the freezer last night, so I am more than half way there!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by