Now it's really going to happen . . .

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by lroth217, Jul 1, 2011.

1. lroth217

lroth217 Out Of The Brooder

May 29, 2011
    Lemont, IL
    My dh and I have been “playing” around with the idea of a Back Yard Flock (for the EGGS of course) for 4 1/2 years. This year we got serious. We broke ground on our coop on 6/4/11 and I have a bedroom in our basement set up (with brooder, lights, etc,) to keep the chicks when they arrive. I have studied and googled and read books and threads on BYC, and spent some $$$ on chicken stuff, and studied breeds until I am saturated (and of course in love [​IMG]) with chickens - and still I’m learning more every day.

But yesterday was the day it really became a reality because . . .we ordered our chicks!

We placed an order with My Pet Chicken for 9 chicks to be shipped on 7/18, all hens: 1 Barred Rock, 2 Buff Orps, 1 Golden Laced Wyandotte, 1 Polish (don’t know exact kind “cuz I opted for a “surprise” variety) 2 RIRs, 1 Silver Spangled Hamburg, and last but not least 1 White Leghorn. I chose a few unusual birds for fun, a few excellent layers since this was supposed to be all about the EGGS (lol) and the Orpingtons for cuddling.

My dh assures me that 6 weeks after they arrive the coop with be ready for them to move in.
    This may get interesting.

I plan to order more next spring and hope to have between 24 and 30 hens with a couple roosters by fall 2012. And yes I know all about Chicken Math, originally our coop was going to be roughly 6’ x 8’ and now that construction is well under way it is 10’ x 12’ with 2 runs, one covered run 8’x 10’ and one “Sun Run” that will be somewhere around 12’ x 10’. I believe that I will have enough room for all the chickens I could ever want. (silly me)[​IMG]

2. texasgal

texasgal Brood with an Attitude

Apr 18, 2009
    A big Texas-sized [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

4. Jerseycoop

Jerseycoop Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    New Jersey
    Hi from Jersey! Good luck on your new journey [​IMG]

5. lroth217

May 29, 2011
    Lemont, IL
    I am going to attempt pictures, but I'm new so forgive me if I fail in an epic way.

If this works, it is a pic of our coop as of this morning, looking at the north-east corner. Here we go.

[​IMG]

preview looks good so . . .

6. BayouPoules

BayouPoules Chillin' With My Peeps

lroth217,.. It's always good to see posts from new eggs that say they've done their homework! It will make everything so much smoother for you and your new chicks. It's still "learn as you go" as problems and injuries come along,.. but you have found the best place to find all the info you need! When I joined,. I didn't know much at all but the great folks here have really helped,.. don't be afraid to ask anything! Welcome and update us on your new babies!

[​IMG] [​IMG] From Louisiana

7. Luckytaz

Luckytaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2010
    Rogers, Mn.
    Welcome, from Minnesota.

8. lroth217

May 29, 2011
    Lemont, IL
    Thanks guys. Forgot to answer questions. Here I go:

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?

Waiting for shipment, but had @ 6 chickens when I was 8 and we were living in town near Perth, Australia

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?

none [​IMG]

(3) What breeds do you have?

See prior post on what is coming in my chick order. [​IMG]

(4) How did you find out about BackYardChickens.com?

I am sure I googled something about chickens and wound up here.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?

Knitting, stitching, gardening, reading, watching way too much t.v, and now way too much time on BYC.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.

Married, have 3 step-children 2 girls and 1 boy and 2 boys (men) of my own, My eldest is married and blessed me with a beautiful granddaughter, Savannah, who will be 2 in August. 3 dogs, 1 cat, 1 Cockatiel, 2 snakes, 1 tarantula, fish. Used to be Administrative Assistant, now am Stay-at-home mom/granny.

done - thanks!

9. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Louisiana!!

10. Cadjien_De_Louisiane

Cadjien_De_Louisiane SWLA Gamefowl Breeder

Apr 18, 2011
    Welsh, LA
    Hi! [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by