Now I've done it... Anyone want 2 male pekins? (Western MD)

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by inputoutput, Nov 3, 2011.

1. inputoutput

inputoutput Out Of The Brooder

Sep 5, 2011
    Cumberland, MD
    First time posting, long time lurker... Didn't post this in the "For Sale" because I'd rather they go free to someone who likes ducks.

In August a friend of mine gave me three pekin ducks from a group she purchased for her farm. She thought they were female but they were already a few months old so it was hard to tell (she's pretty good at sexing chicks). They just donned their winter fluffage and it looks like two are males (curly tail feathers, dropped voices). I don't have the room for male birds, I'm afraid they will become aggressive when they are of age and my flock is for eggs only. I'm not big on meat either but my choices are eat them myself or re-home them. I'd like to see them live a good life. They have so far. They aren't much into people but they wiggle their little butts when I talk to them and gladly scoop up vegetable treats I toss their way. They've been excellent watch-ducks for my coop.

I live in Allegany county, MD (western MD near WV and PA). I'd like to keep the girl but I may just part with all three to keep them together. Haven't made a decision (I just know if they are males I don't want to keep them and I don't know anyone local who wants more ducks) but if you are interested, shoot me an email: hkreedy0 at gmail dot com. I can bring them to you or vice versa depending on the drive.

2. featherfinder

featherfinder Runner Lover

[​IMG]

Maybe try craigslist? Or the buy sell section on here. Alot of people do sell things in that section and im sure you can put on there they are free to a good home. Good luck!

3. veronicasmom

veronicasmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2009
    Just a hint, I'd keep the girl unless they are all going to a home with more hens. I girl and two boys is not a really go ratio.

4. diggerthechickenman

diggerthechickenman Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2011
    alabama
    I Wish I Lived Closer To Md I Would Absolutely Love To Have Them , If They Would Get Along With My Blue Swedish Hen.

5. inputoutput

Sep 5, 2011
    Cumberland, MD
    Yeah, I'm afraid of ol' Craigslist because people are constantly trying to give away male birds there... And I know of at least one person who routinely "adopts" them and turns around and well, makes dinner out of them! And Thanksgiving is right around the corner...

Veronica- That is my other concern... There is literally not enough space for them to not become a huge mental / physical strain to her if she is a girl. I don't really know, she's a little smaller (I guess, not by much) but has the same quack for the most part so she might just be a he who is not feathered out yet. They've all shed a ton of feathers in the past few weeks and really puffed out. Thats when the curly tails appeared, though their voices dropped from squeals before that. I didn't want to assume. I really don't like stressing them out but I think today I will go snatch her up and carry her around to see if her quack still has more of that "squeal" to it.

<- Best video I could find (NOT ME OR MY DUCK OR MY DOG IN MY DUCKS GRILL.. lol) , they make the exact same sound and with the same "curl" on the tail...

6. featherfinder

featherfinder Runner Lover

Yeah so craigslist is out of the question. I have seen on postings where they put pet only and not for the table. Maybe you could try that and then if someone is interested have a phone conversation with them and see what their intentions are with the ducks. Aslo with breeding and hatching season over for the moment maybe you will not have problems with them till after the holidays and starting the first of the year you could try to find a home for them again?

Just throwing some ideas out there. I wouldnt want mine to go to the table either.

7. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    If you can't give them a forever home, it is pretty unrealistic to think that someone else will take over the responsibility.

Maybe you will get really lucky and find them a nice pet home, but you are going to have to work really hard at it to find one.

Mother nature provides way too many males in poultry. I suggest that you stop thinking "happily ever after" and start thinking along the lines of humane treatment and a quick and easy death if they get butchered.

If nothing else, give them back to the friend who gave them to you as females and let her worry about placing them.

8. Dusky Beauty

Dusky Beauty Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2011
    Far West Phoenix
    I don't think there is anything morally wrong with sending ducks who have led "the good life" to freezer camp-- I actually feel good about it when I think of how much commercial farm animals suffer through to get to be dinner. Honestly Pekin drakes eat a lot because that is what they're for. The only duck I have that I won't consider butchering is the one who hasn't had "the good life" until he got to my place and he has some making up for his past couple years to do.

I think the best thing to do would be to ask the friend how she feels about them being dinner. If she's ok with it, and you have two drakes to dispose of, maybe split them.

9. kaybats

kaybats Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Quote:Give them back.........easy, peasy..............if nothing else!

10. inputoutput

Sep 5, 2011
    Cumberland, MD
    The nice part is there is no rush on finding them a home. In fact this weekend since the weather's been nice we are tearing down coop version one and building an actual house and taking the old coop fencing and making a super coop. I'm pretty excited to see them enjoy the added space it will provide.

As far as eating them goes, I didn't mention it because it is a little abhorrent to some and I don't want to come across as heartless but I'm not averse to culling (and consuming) anything in my "flock". I'd feel a lot more comfortable being the one who did it, that is why I have birds... Its that whole "factory farming vs everything is loved and taken care of before i eat it" mindset....

The friend who gave them to me just told me she is downsizing the number of birds she has so I didn't want to put it on her to take them back. She's like me, except she has the Amish do the butchering since they're her neighbors <3 I guess when it comes down to it my reason for trying to re-home is the fact that I got them with the intention to keep them their entire lives, not eat them. But again all of my birds are kept with the knowledge that I might have to put them down one day, and if I do, I'm not going to let them go to waste. Not something I look forward to but that's life.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by