Now lets see, which chicks are they?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by jenjscott, May 17, 2009.

1. jenjscott

jenjscott Mosquito Beach Poultry

May 24, 2008
    Southeast Arkansas
    Yesterday I moved two batches together, a dozen 2 week old assorted bantams, and 8 - 1 week old jap bantams with 3 turkey poults. After the initial mix, all the week olds went to one end and the 2 weekers to the other. Except the turkeys went with the older chicks. Everybody settled down for a nap. One of the turkeys was looking around and suddenly got up and moved over to the one week side like it just realized it was with the wrong group of chicks. Withing a few minutes, the other two had moved back to the one week side also. Today they are still segregated. It will be ineresting to see how long it takes them to integrate.

2. giasmom

giasmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    Woodville, Al
    Cool, I will have to keep an eye on this thread.i'd kinda like to know also.

3. chickenbottom

chickenbottom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2008
    hollister, florida
    lol sounds like they arnt sure what to think of each others [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. jenjscott

jenjscott Mosquito Beach Poultry

May 24, 2008
    Southeast Arkansas
    Last night the two groups were still bedded down on opposite ends of the brooder. The turkeys seem to change back and forth from one group to the other.

This morning after their usual flurry of activity, most have bedded down together on the 1 week side, with just a couple of hold outs.

5. joedie

joedie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2009
    SW Indiana
    I mixed 1 wk olds with 1 day olds one week apart and did it again a few days ago ( brought home 4 one day olds and put them in with the 1 and 2 wk olds. I watched them closely to make sure they weren't getting picked on. The first time I did it, they blended pretty much the first day.
    When I did the same thing a few days ago, the 4 new ones blend in during the day, but they sleep apart from the others EXCEPT one 2 wk old RIR chick sleeps with them!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by