Now my hen has a pecked head. Stress?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by FowlFriend, May 29, 2010.

1. FowlFriend

FowlFriend Out Of The Brooder

Feb 24, 2010
    Central Coast, CA
    I have 2 hens in a 36" x 20" x 20" cage. They've been together since hatching and always get along well. They jump for worms and are generally happy.

We "inherited" 2 roos last week and due to all the crowing, I've been putting one roo with the hens in a bigger pen for a few hours each day.

Well, this morning one of my hens is all pecked up from the other hen! (The boys do not stay with them at night as I want to keep an eye on them in case of fighting). This has NEVER happened, they've always gotten along well. The pecked hen is scared of the other one and is cowering in the corner.

Did the introduction of the roos cause this? Even though it's only a couple of hours a day? What should I do? I already have the roos separated into their own cages. Should I now separate the hens?

I really want the girls to get along and snuggle in their box together again. Their hatching was a family fun project and now we're all sad. Can they ever get along that well again?

2. Cloverleaf Farm

Cloverleaf Farm Bearded Birds are Best

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    With the introduction of the rooster, their relationship has a new hormonal "twist"...keep the roos out, put some blue kote or something of that sort on the picked area, and keep your fingers crossed...you may need to seperate until the pecked hen is healed up anyway...

3. FowlFriend

FowlFriend Out Of The Brooder

Feb 24, 2010
    Central Coast, CA
    Ah, the dreaded hormones. Sigh. Thanks for responding. I know I ask a lot of dumb newbie questions!

I'll keep the roos away and pray the girls get along again!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by