now my hen is starting to get sick HELP!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by maransfan16, Dec 22, 2012.

1. maransfan16

maransfan16 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2012
    southwest kentucky
    she is lossing weight and turning pale almost yellow but she is still walking around with the others also if it helps her earlobes are turning yellow i posted on here a few days ago about how my rooster got sick and died and i'm afraid she is coming down with the same thing what do i do
    [​IMG]
    she is the one in the back i put this picture up to give you an idea of how pale she is she looked like the one in the front a few days ago please help

2. Whittni

Whittni Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Southern Utah
    It might be a severe infestation of mites. If not, it could be a contagious disease...but lets check the butt feathers first, then the roosting area and birds at night.

3. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I have no idea, but perhaps one of these will help:

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

I'm sorry if this feels insensitive, but If you are in the US, you might consider having your state vet do a necropsy to find out for certain what is going on. See if you can find them through this:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/40141/link-find-your-state-vet-for-a-necropsy

I happen to know that UC Davis in California does them for free, if you happen to live there. It varies state to state.

4. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    A heavy worm load could also cause this, depending on their age and whether you've ever wormed them. Look up Dawg53's posts for great worming info.

5. maransfan16

Dec 17, 2012
    southwest kentucky
    whittini there is not a spot where they roost they are in a large run up off the ground and i've put roost poles in there with them and they don't use them they sleep in a corner of the run for some reason. but what do i need to look for around the butt feathers

6. Whittni

Whittni Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Southern Utah
    To look for bugs, "mites"

7. Suzie

Suzie Overrun With Chickens

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    You will not always SEE mites/lice on your chickens - do you dust/spray the chickens and coop with sevin or permethryn?

If not, I suggest you do so as a matter of urgency - this may well be the cause of her pale demeanour... have you treated them for worms yet?

It would be advisable to add some Apple Cider Vinegar to their drinking water - Cowcreekgeek is the expert on ACV - read his advice and suggested doses.

Good luck!

Suzie

8. maransfan16

Dec 17, 2012
    southwest kentucky
    well i've given them wazine 17 last week but i'll give them some apple cider viniger ASAP how much to a gallon do mix it

9. Suzie

Suzie Overrun With Chickens

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    You need four teaspoonfuls per gallon.... however, do not use in galvanised containers - ensure the containers are plastic only.

Suzie

p.s. as recommended by cowcreekgeek - he has expert advice in this and many other fields of chicken health

10. maransfan16

Dec 17, 2012
    southwest kentucky
    thank you i'll keep ya'll posted on on how she is doing

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by