Now Nibbler is limping...

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by CaptainQwak, Jul 15, 2019.

1. CaptainQwak

CaptainQwak Songster

Jun 5, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Not sure where to start with this drama... as some of you know, I have a beloved Jumbo Pekin named Nibbler who first lost his mate to poisoning, then their son died after I had him treated for a swollen hock at an awful avian vet. Pretty sure they killed him. Got him a gorgeous new companion thanks to friends on the forum. Now Nibbler is limping and I’m terrified to take him to a vet. I’m pretty sure he injured his right leg jumping off the back porch, which I have been trying to keep him from doing... now have a gate up on the steps. May need to confine him as he refuses to stop running around on it. Ordered some Baytril and will try soaking in Epsom Salts. There are several threads on leg problems and swollen hocks and I’m not sure if there is an underlying infection, but figured the Baytril may help. Pretty sure the tendon is intact. Was also going to try turmeric. Any other ideas?

Last edited: Jul 15, 2019
  2. CaptainQwak

CaptainQwak Songster

Jun 5, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    IMG_8557.jpg

The evil steps...

3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life

Oh boy I bet that did smart! Confine him and his friend for a while, rest and everything else you mentioned will help him recover. As long as he is running around it will take a lot longer and might cause other issues. Very pretty couple! Try him resting it for at least a week and see if there is improvement.

4. CaptainQwak

CaptainQwak Songster

Jun 5, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    He’s so crazy... if nobody is outside and he is starved for attention he’ll come up to the back door looking for us. And then he jumps off like he can fly instead of going down one step at a time like the other ducks.

:barnie

5. Miss Lydia

They just don’t know their limitations!

6. quackiemama

quackiemama Crowing

Dec 26, 2018
    MARYLAND
    He is adorable. I hope he heals up quickly with some confinement and rest.

BirdsBeesTrees and CaptainQwak like this.
  7. Miss Lydia

E
    We have steps leading up to our porch to keep our birds off my husband made a gate that way we can keep it closed. The ducks won’t use the steps if the gate is closed. If you have a way to block the steps that will keep Nibbler off an injuring himself.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2019
  8. CaptainQwak

CaptainQwak Songster

Jun 5, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    That’s exactly what I did... I now have an expandable willow fence on the bottom step when I’m not outside to keep him off the porch. Should have done it much sooner!

Last edited: Jul 16, 2019
    BirdsBeesTrees and Miss Lydia like this.
  9. Miss Lydia

Good for you! I know it happens to most of us the hind sight.

BirdsBeesTrees and CaptainQwak like this.
  10. CaptainQwak

CaptainQwak Songster

Jun 5, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Well he’s resting inside in his crate today and I made him some soft-boiled eggs with Nutri-Drench and turmeric... which is now all over the mud room. Lol. Such a slob.

BirdsBeesTrees and Miss Lydia like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: