Now one with a crusty closed eye?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Jeffross1968, Feb 5, 2012.

1. Jeffross1968

Jeffross1968 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Smoky Mountains
    So, our Ideal "rare pullet" deal has a new problem. We've had 3, all same breed, die. Thought the last one was going to pull through, but she died overnight. Not sure what happened. We also have a cross beak.

But now, we found one with a crustyish closed eye. Seemed to be a little crustiness around the eye, and it was swollen shut. Took a wet paper towel and dabbed at it to at least clean it up, and opened it very carefully to see if there is still an eye in there (attack?). There was.

So any ideas what might be going on here? Her other eye is perfect, she is super active, eating and drinking. Just....a closed crusty eye? What's next....ugh....

2. Jeffross1968

May 14, 2011
    Smoky Mountains
    And we've got another that's gone from very active to lethargic in the last hour. Not sure what the hell is going on....

3. Jeffross1968

May 14, 2011
    Smoky Mountains
    And a 4th just dropped in front of us.

At this point, we're freaking out. This one seemed healthy just hours ago and it went down hill incredibly fast. We've brooded many, many chicks, though this is our first attempt with day olds shipped to us. This is a brand new experience. I'm sweating their future...

4. LaynaDon95

LaynaDon95 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2012
    Texas
    Oh my goodness. I'm not sure there is anything you can do. I've heard a lot of reviews like this about Ideal. I would not order from them. But a lot of the people on here say they have used them with no problems. I'm sorry about your chicks. I hope the rest pull through. Contact the company and see if they will refund your money or send you more chicks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by