**now pictures** WINTER hatching issues

cray4en

Songster
11 Years
Jul 24, 2008
Hi everyone,

I haven't ever hatched this late in the year but something got my roosters and a few hens (A FEW DAYS APART) so it was either hatch what eggs I had or go without a rooster. Yes, beside the obvious of getting someone else's rooster, I prefer to raise my own. So, I got all the eggs I had and placed them into the incubator. I also took all the eggs laid the next week and put them into another incubator.

I know what day I set my eggs. I was upset about my roosters, I wrote it down and numbered the days.

ISSUE: 19-21 days and no eggs hatched, no peeping either, so I broke open an egg and there was what would have been a hatch-able (within 2 days?) chick inside. I decided to let them set for 5 more days to see what happens.

Day 22 eggs are hatching. I think there are about 6-8 chicks that hatched so far today!!!!
wee.gif

I WILL LET THEM SET 2 MORE DAYS TO SEE IF MORE WOULD HATCH. (22-24 days for this clutch)

QUESTION:

1. HAS ANYONE ELSE HAD THIS ISSUE HATCHING IN THE WINTER?

2. (THE TEMPERATURE HERE HAS BEEN AROUND 5OISH DAY/40ISH NIGHT DEGREES.) DID IT JUST TAKE LONGER FOR THE EGGS TO WARM UP TO START DEVELOPING AND THUS DELAY THE HATCHING 3 DAYS?

I had no problems with temperature in the incubator or any other issues and I have hatched many eggs over the last few years but never in the middle of winter.

OTHER BASIC FACTS
RIR PURE BREEDS HENS AND ROOSTERS ABOUT 10ISH MONTHS OLD clean healthy flock

FYI: SINCE HAVING MY HENS AND ROOSTERS BE SOMETHING ELSE'S FOOD THEY ARE NOW CONFINED 24/7 TO THERE HOUSE AND COOP. I AM NOW DOWN TO 5 HENS ONLY

Not hatching in the winter, but I’ve had eggs in the incubator and other eggs under a broody hatch 2 days early. I’ve also had other sets hatch on time, same incubator with the same setting and under broodies. I’ve had a few hatches stretch over two days though most of the time, whether they are on time, 1 day early, or 2 days early, they normally all hatch within 24 hours of each other. These are from the same flock so I don’t think it is pure heredity though it happens often enough and always early for me that maybe heredity has an influence.

If it were just my incubator I’d think some setting, probably temperature, somehow got off, but it happens under a broody too. Most of my hatches start about 12 to 18 hours early, broody or incubator. I know mine are early and yours are late, but each hatch is different. I can’t explain why.

The only thing I’d suggest is for you to recalibrate your thermometer. With that much change, you’d think it would be temperature.

I can understand your frustration too. A few years ago someone dropped two 100 pound dogs off in the country for the good life. They got my rooster and the best hens I was using for my little breeding project. I got some chicks form a hatchery in the fall and pretty much started over.

Good luck on the hatch and on taking care of whatever it was that got yours.

If your incubator is need a window or an air vent it could cause a delay in birth or even abort the chicks (near windows by overheating - in the summer). That might be an issue? Sorry to hear about losing birds... but congrats on the hatch of 17 chicks ^^

Back
Top Bottom