Now she's laid a really small egg.

Papa John59

Songster
May 21, 2019
Amberg, Germany
Our Amrock has been laying for about 3 weeks now on a daily basis. They have all been normal size eggs until today. This egg is smaller than a ping pong ball but larger than a shooter marble, you know the bigger of the two marble sizes. Almost half the size of her normal eggs. Is this expected out of a new layer? Her feed has not been changed and the other hens in the flock are laying their normal size. Should I be worried?
156853969948368914.jpg

Probably just a glitch.
I'd not worry unless there are other signs of illness, or it happens frequently.

What's inside that egg?

Fairy, fart, wind, rooster eggs are usually from a tiny piece of tissue breaking loose from the reproductive tract, or an immature ova(yolk) and the body forms an egg around it. Color can be darker than 'normal' as the pigment coating released has to cover a much smaller area so is thicker. Can happen with any age layer, but more common with new or older layers.

I think it's explained in this excellent video, which is worth watching regardless:

I think it's explained in this excellent video, which is worth watching regardless:

No other illness that we have seen. It has been just this one "egg" and she has not laid since then. Thanks for the video! I saw it on another post!

Back
Top Bottom