1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Now that I know my girl is really a boy...

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by VA Lady, Jul 21, 2010.

1. VA Lady

VA Lady Chirping

May 26, 2010
    Virginia
    I had a thread going on the breed/gender section trying to figure out if one of my girls is a boy - now I know she's a he.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=375641&p=1

I don't have any intention of getting rid of "her" as she/he has been a favorite from the start. Unfortunately I only have 4 birds and my current set up really isn't big enough to hold more and have them be comfortable (I'm thinking though that is what will probably need to change). What I'm really wondering is if anyone has had any long term success with a small hen to rooster ratio? He's still young and growing but right now my new boy is smaller than the 3 hens and they all get along great. He has been the boss since the start but he's never been mean and has always been friendly to me too (once when the tractor spooked him he almost jumped into my arms). I guess I'm just trying to figure out what I need to expect going forward now that instead of having 4 hens I have 3 hens and a rooster.

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Free Ranging 9 Years

Feb 2, 2009
    Southeast Louisiana
  3. VA Lady

VA Lady Chirping

May 26, 2010
    Virginia
    Thank you so much for that thread link! It was really helpful and now I think that the best thing to do may be to just take each day as it comes and see what happens. Maybe my small rooster will get along fine with the 3 ladies and all will be well (although it does sound like there can be a rough patch through their "teenage" period sometimes).

4. mmaddie's mom

mmaddie's mom Songster

May I ask a question VA Lady? What kind of chicken is that in your pic?

5. wildorchid053

wildorchid053 Songster

May 12, 2009
    syracuse area, ny
    i have one roo and 3 hens.. i have to keep a dress on them so their backs don't get bare.. but otherwise they do great

6. VA Lady

VA Lady Chirping

May 26, 2010
    Virginia
    mmaddie's mom :

May I ask a question VA Lady? What kind of chicken is that in your pic?

If you mean the headshot of the chicken for my ikon then that's Sasha - she is just a little mix that I picked out of a cage full of mixed pullets at a Tractor Supply chicken swap (along with 2 of our other 4 birds). I've had several people say that she looks like she has Easter Egger in her though (she has the extra feathery head and her legs are greenish). Mix or not, I think she knows she's a pretty girl as she is fairly prissy - she always scratches around dainty (as if she doesn't really care) and if she doesn't think she is getting the proper attention she'll give you an annoyed kind of peck! [​IMG]

Sasha:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. VA Lady

VA Lady Chirping

May 26, 2010
    Virginia
    Quote:This is good to hear - do you use any particular type to protect their back? Thanks for the info!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: