Now THAT is what I call dedication. LOL

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kycowgirl78, May 2, 2009.

1. kycowgirl78

kycowgirl78 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2009
    Morgantown, Ky
    Got a bunch of chicks for free because they all had bad case of pastey butt. [​IMG] Most I brought home and dipped their little butts in some warm water, cleaned off the crud and they were fine except for a little rawness. However, one little red chick, still not sure what exactly it is, had a severly swollen and hard vent. [​IMG] It was actually protruding out almost an inch. I soaked it, wiped it clean, but couldn't figure out what was actually WRONG with its rear. [​IMG] I noticed it wasn't eating and drinking and was very inactive compared to the other rambunctious chicks. So upon further examination I realized that the swollen protrusion was actually crusted up poo inside that it could not pass. Never having encountered this bad of a case before I had to stop and think of some ideas of what I might do. So after a couple minutes I assembled an eye dropper, a wet paper towel and a toothpick. I held the chick, butt up and spread the vent open with my fingers, dropped in a few drops of warm water and waited about 1 minute. I then opened the vent again and began to use the toothpick to gently pick out the cement like poo while stopping periodically to add a few more drops of water or use the paper towel to wipe. I dug and I dug and I DUG until I was astounded at how much poo was stuck inside the tiny chick. [​IMG] How on earth did it all fit? Needless to say, as much teasing as I've received for doing such grotesque procedures, [​IMG] I'm happy to report that the little chick is now eating and drinking and behaving as a normal chick should. I've checked it several times a day and so far, no more pastey butt. [​IMG] Has anyone else had to do this?

2. I LOVE COCHINS

I LOVE COCHINS ChochieChochieCoo

Feb 10, 2008
    Glad there was a happy ending to your story!! Your a great chickie [​IMG] Mom [​IMG] I have not had that happen to any of mine. [​IMG] So how many chicks did you get? Do you have pictures to share?

3. I LOVE COCHINS

I LOVE COCHINS ChochieChochieCoo

Feb 10, 2008
    I forgot to say! [​IMG]

4. andrea98

andrea98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    in my barnyard....ohio
    [​IMG] & yes pics please!!!!!!!

5. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    Well, no Ive never done that.

You are right; 'dedication' is now your official nickname.

6. kycowgirl78

kycowgirl78 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2009
    Morgantown, Ky
    Got 15 freebies. Was told they were probably mutts, they didn't have much info really at the store. I know two are cochins because they have "fuzzy feet" and at least one has the feathers on the sides of its face, maybe an EE. I definately need to get some pics up so that I can get some help with indentification!!! Will try to get that done within the next couple of days so please stay posted to see if you can help. [​IMG] If you ever have that severe of a problem, you might try my method. [​IMG] Worked well for me even though it was definately nasty for me and I'm sure wasn't real pleasant for the chick. Bet it sure feels better now though.

7. vickie2133

vickie2133 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2009
    Corbin
    Glad that worked for you. Some chicks have it rough.

8. Terry

Terry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2008
    Lexington,NC
    [​IMG] from NC
    I am so glad it all worked out for you and the tender butts
    [​IMG]

9. jenni2142

jenni2142 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2008
    South Carolina
    Yep I had to do that, took 2 days and several toothpicks, bunch of mineral oil and quick trip for my first tube of prep h. My little chick is fine 5 weeks later and loves me which makes it worth the teasing.
    [​IMG]

10. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    Quote:Nice picture

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by