Now that I've decided it's going to be SO HARD to wait for Spring!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Chicabee19, Aug 24, 2008.

1. Chicabee19

Chicabee19 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2008
    n/a
    I keep checking Craigslist for chicken listings, but I know I can't get chickens right now! arrgghhh [​IMG]

We don't have any setup at all yet.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2008
  2. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

you dont need much.... a rabbit cage from Wal-Mart is sufficient space for a pair of Malaysian Seramas. They are very small, dont require a lot of room, and can be found in a variety of colors. Perhaps, something small and easy will satisfy your chicken addiction until the spring.

3. Chicabee19

Aug 8, 2008
    n/a
    thanks Chris! I'll be thinkin' hard about that for the next few days.

4. EliteTempleton

EliteTempleton Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2008
    SW MI
    I thought you had an unused greenhouse?

Wouldn't that be like the premo spot to put them?

5. Chicabee19

Aug 8, 2008
    n/a
    oh, I WISH! it's not put up... it's still in pieces!

I do have an ad out on freecycle asking for unused dog house/large pet carrier and anyone with extra chicken wire. My friend was able to find hers there.

6. EliteTempleton

Aug 9, 2008
    SW MI
    I have to agree that hardware cloth is the way to go. The poultry netting I bought does not give me confidence, but I don't have cougars in the area. Seriously the only thing I figure to ever use poultry netting for in the future is to keep the poultry out of the garden....

I ended up putting up some landscape cloth over the chicken wire, and for where I live thats enough, but I still don't fully trust it.

7. Chicabee19

Aug 8, 2008
    n/a
    i think my freecycle post says "chicken or cattle wire"...

[​IMG]

8. EliteTempleton

Aug 9, 2008
    SW MI
    I see. [​IMG]

Well if you end up with some free "poultry netting" I recommend using it to keep them out of the garden. [​IMG]

9. Chicabee19

Aug 8, 2008
    n/a
    I just got a reply offering a roll of chicken wire... so we're on our way! Woohooo [​IMG]

I was thinking to use poultry "netting" across the top of the run. Is that a good use for it?

10. EliteTempleton

Aug 9, 2008
    SW MI
    I think so. Not much experience here really, but from what I understand across the top it would stop the hawks and keep the chickens from flying out. Plus the stuff I read about coons and such talk more about them reaching through and pulling them out, which obviously a coon's arms just are not long enough to reach down from the top and get them. I have read some stuff about animals tearing through the netting and getting in, but I would think that would be harder for them, if it even happens, from above, as they would have less traction/leverage to rip it apart, plus how would they get back out? They could but I bet they would not feel like they could so they wouldn't do it.

I set 1x2's across the top about every 2.5 feet, mostly for stapling the wire down, but it adds support too, so if a hawk flew down it wouldn't bring the whole roof down onto the chickens.

Again, someone else will need to chime in, but I think for the top it would be ok.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by