now that rooster is gone will hens laay less eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by eggbudd, Jan 6, 2011.

1. eggbudd

eggbudd New Egg

Dec 6, 2010
    Now that my rooster is going to be chicken noodle soup, will this affect the amount of eggs my hens are laying?

2. NoseyChickens

NoseyChickens Feathers On The Ground

Aug 3, 2009
    Southern California
    It shouldnt.

3. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sometimes the change in social order does effect laying for a few weeks. Sometimes the lead hen takes the role and begins trying her best to crow, as well. It is a pathetic and rather ugly sound, but she give it her best.

4. Judy

Judy Chicken Obsessed Staff Member Premium Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    If the roo was a problem for the hens, they should lay more. I had too many for a few weeks; when we finally got around to doing something about it, egg production went up noticeably.

5. PepsNick

PepsNick Back to Business

May 9, 2010
    Egglanta, GA
    Now, if the hens loved the roo, then it could lead to some depression and decrease egg laying. Otherwise, shouldn't.

6. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Chicken love.[​IMG] If he was an extremely aggressive breeder, the hens may lay even more eggs now that they are being less stressed. Edited to add: I seriously doubt that they will need psychological counseling because of their lost "love'.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2011
  7. Dixiedoodle

Dixiedoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    It took my girls two days to get over the roo leaving!LOL He was aggressive and down right mean.. Two girls had started to hide from the flock or anywhere the roo was, every two minutes one of the girls was screaming and running madly thru the yard... He ended up killing one of my pullets and flogging my dh and grandson..

Two days after he was gone--the girls were laying better, all of them started paying more attention to ME, they became more calm, 'chatting' softly while scratching and dust bathing... NOT one scream for days.. I started to enjoy being out with them... It's been a yr and I don't think I will ever own a standard roo again.. I have to admit--I really miss the crowing.. He was beautiful and had a really nice crow...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by