1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Now that the chicks are older, breed and still pullets? Updated-result

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by babyrnlc, Mar 16, 2011.

1. babyrnlc

babyrnlc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2011
    Tulsa, Ok
    Now that the chicks are almost 5 weeks I was wondering if I could get a breed confirmation and make sure they still look like pullets. They were from the assorted pullet bin from the feed store and they get from Ideal.

This is Dottie, she was guessed as a mottled Ancona. Does that sound right and does she still look like a pullet?
    The mostly white one:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

We were told this was either a BA, or BSL, which do you think she is? This is Beauty:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is goldie. We were told she was a gold sexlinked, red sexlinked or rir. What do you guys think now? And pullet?(the gold one)
    [​IMG]

This is Cindy, the EE (I am pretty sure she is an EE, but if I am wrong let me know please)Still a pullet? (What color is she called?)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The other chick is pretty sure a brown leghorn: (Still a pullet) Don't have great pictures of her, she is in the group:

[​IMG]

Thank you guys!

Last edited: Jul 31, 2011
  2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    The first one looks rooish to me [​IMG]
    Second I'm guessing black sex-link pullet, an Australorp wouldnt' have the brown/gold on the neck
    Goldie is probably a sex-link, but those legs look awfully thick?
    Cindy is an ee pullett
    The last one could be a brown leghorn or a Welsummer. White lobes=leghorn, red lobes=welsummer.

3. i guarentee all are pullets except the ancona, still a bit iffy on that one. but remeber, Ancona pullets have rather large combs compared to other chickens. the Res Sexlink is a pullet, lol, i have a rooster (sumatra) whose legs are thinner than like, all my hens!

4. oh, by the way, the last pullet, is most likly an EE. its comb appears not to be a single comb, but its at a bad angle. also, you can't always tell a chicken breed by its color: i used to have an EE named Penny (RIP) she had the same pattern of a dark brown leghorn, but obiously an EE. You might have to wait and see to really know what that last pullet is

5. chickened

chickened Overrun With Chickens

Oct 2, 2010
    western Oregon
    The black and white is a rooster, the next one is a black sexlink hen , then a gold sexlink hen , an ameracana hen and the last one in the group photo is a welsummer.

6. ChickenWisperer

ChickenWisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2008
    KY
    Quote:I agree, except that "ameraucana" isn't one. It's a mongrel EE.

7. babyrnlc

Jan 30, 2011
    Tulsa, Ok
    Thank you guys!

So what makes you know the Ancona is a roo? I am trying to learn this stuff. The comb is larger, but still very much flesh colored and my EE roos had pink combs by this age and already had waddles. Or is it the coloring of the feathers? Or the way it stands? He does not act like my other roos did at all. They would chest butt by this age and if a dog came to the cage, they would peck. This little chick is a big chicken (no pun intended lol, or well, maybe it was on purpose lol)

It is really ok if he is. We started off wanting 4 chickens. Then 8, we are up to 10 and cannot decided which to get rid of and decided just to keep all the hens. We have 5 for sure in the other group, so if we have 4 out of these we are still ahead of our original plans lol

8. babyrnlc

Jan 30, 2011
    Tulsa, Ok
    Quote:I agree, except that "ameraucana" isn't one. It's a mongrel EE.

So a welsummer. I posted a picture of her in the leghorn thread and they said she was definitely a brown leghorn. Here is a little bit older pictures of her. She is the one looking at the camera. (The EE is next to her)

[​IMG]

9. Hollywood Chickens

Hollywood Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Florida
    the whiteish one looks like an Ancona and mine got big combs as chicks and are laying eggs now, so wait a bit.

Beauty is a BSL, Goldie could be Buff rock, Buff Orp or golden sex linked are her legs yellow or pinky grey? Cindy is an EE and a very pretty one.

10. babyrnlc

Jan 30, 2011
    Tulsa, Ok
    Here are some zoomed in pictures of Princess Julia (my 5 year old named her lol)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by