Now that the "girls" are laying eggs. What should they be eating?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by michelle89, Sep 15, 2011.

1. michelle89

michelle89 Songster

Jan 11, 2011
    Labor Day weekend the girls starting laying eggs!!! Yeah!! I'm wondering what would be a good addition to their diet, they have free range during the day and have their pick of what they eat. They have access to their food and water. I give them a variety of vegetables and fruit, should they have more specific foods? So far their eggs are perfect, [​IMG] ! a little on the small side but I know they will get bigger. I just want to give them proper nutrition to stay healthy and to keep them laying eggs!
    Thanks for the help!

I love the color of their eggs, my Easter Egger lays the prettiest blue/green eggs and my two Buff Orpington lay skin colored eggs, its the highlight of my day to see those pretty eggs in their nest box!![​IMG]

2. Quote:There's nothing much better than those first eggs! The different colors are an added bonus!

I think content chickens lay best. Free range and food variety=contented chickens (IMHO).

Just be sure the chicken feed you use is a layer feed. Also you may want to offer oyster shell.

Oh,and don't forget to post pics of your eggs. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by