Now that they're grown, final guesses on my pullets?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by goldfinches, Dec 2, 2012.

1. goldfinches

goldfinches Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Maryland
    I got these girls from a breeder who said, basically, they would be olive eggers. But, none of them are. They're mostly all laying now from what I can tell. Anyone want to venture guesses on them now???

This one has the most interesting comb. Is it called a rose comb? It doesn't look like the pics of rose combs I find online.
    She lays a white egg, I believe.

[​IMG]

And a side shot:

[​IMG]

There are two very similar ones, but one is nearly half again as large as the other. The larger one lays a dark brown egg, with some spots. This is her:

[​IMG]

And I don't think this one is laying yet. I think she's the same breed as the other black one, but she's much smaller still:
    [​IMG]

Thanks!

2. NJchixs

NJchixs Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2012
    Jackson, NJ
    First off they are pretty. My guess is the first one has some polish in it, that's why the crest and white egg. The others I'm not sure. I don't see any marans in them. Do you know what was in her flock? My olive egger was an ameraucana hen with a French black copper marans rooster.

3. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    polish mix (with a feather legged breed due to the very very light leg feathering)
    possible black marans

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    That's not a rose comb, I'm not sure what it is but looks like the result of a mix. What kind of combs do Polish have, anyway? I don't know I've ever seen one due to the funky hairdo!

Polish cross, I'm not sure with what.
    That second black hen looks like she should be laying. She kind of has a gamey look to her, look how her wings are set.

5. goldfinches

May 6, 2011
    Maryland
    Good eye to catch the feathered legs. I forgot to point that out. I think all along, it's been that she's some sort of polish mix.

I figure the others must be some sort of marans, I ended up with a bunch of bcm's from the same breeder.

6. goldfinches

May 6, 2011
    Maryland
    I'm glad I'm not the only one stumped by her comb. I hope it does well through the winter... I think polish have a v-shaped comb like a devil!

I think the second one, if she's laying, is laying a white egg. She does look a lot more gamey - not big, fluffy, warm and round like the other one. She's also not nearly as friendly.

7. goldfinches

May 6, 2011
    Maryland
    thank you [​IMG] They're the only ones I chose to keep from the motley crew I received, aside from a couple of Seramas.

I ordered Blue Wheaten Ameraucana from them, but they didn't send me any that made it. They also have a few breeds of marans, I assumed the olive eggers would be a cross between the two.

They have 20 breeds listed on their website, including polish bantams, (new since I ordered in the spring) and Old English bantams.

8. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    polish have v-combs. the face of the first one is black which would indicate a black skinned breed
    [​IMG]

true but idk of any game type breeds that will lay dark brown eggs except marans...

9. goldfinches

May 6, 2011
    Maryland
    It's hard for me to tell, I have quite a few hens who lay off and on due to molting, but i just have a feeling she's laying a small white egg. (I have a couple of new eggs seeming to show up and I think one is hers.) Does that give you any more ideas?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by