Now that they've been out all day

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by tarragon, May 7, 2011.

1. tarragon

tarragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2011
    Bothell, WA
    I wish the coop was finished. My little ladies have been in their new enclosed, roofed run all afternoon. Being a worrisome mother hen, I ran an extension cord out and hung their lamp in one corner, but they haven't been under it. They look so happy and have so much room for playing chase and "look at me run like a velociraptor!" that I wish they didn't have to come back inside. Alas, there is no roof on the coop, no roost yet, and only 3 walls. Guess I better go wrangle 'em up. After 7 weeks of chickens in the family room, I'm ready for the next stage.

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Where are you?

If they are 7 weeks old and you have a lamp out there for them, they can handle temps in the 40s... They are fully feathered now so they'll huddle and be fine.

3. tarragon

tarragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2011
    Bothell, WA
    Quote:We are just north of Seattle, it was in the 50's all day and now it is pouring again. Low 40's at night. I'm hoping the coop will be finished Tuesday. Can't let them stay in the run because it still needs its final predator proofing.[​IMG]

4. lebentier

lebentier Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    SoCal
    mine are staying out for the first time tonight-6wks and 8wks-and i am a nervous wreck. i know they will be fine but still worry.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by