Now that we have eggs help???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by sdsharko, Dec 8, 2011.

1. sdsharko

sdsharko Out Of The Brooder

Jul 13, 2011
    San Diego, Ca
    Ok since we recieved our first eggs yesterday I have entered a nother realm of chicken ownership. What does everybody reccommend as far as cleaning and keeping the eggs. Do I wash with soap, keep in the fridge or on the counter etc??? Help please [​IMG]

2. bobbieschicks

bobbieschicks Chicken Tender

Jun 24, 2011
    King George, VA
    My Coop
    Quote:It's apparently a personal choice. If you intend to eat them you can wash & store in the fridge or just store in cartons on your countertop. I've been washing the few I've gotten so far, but I think I'll try leaving them out next time. When I wash I use special egg wipes to cleanse then dry and store in fridge. Leaving them on the countertop unwashed keeps them safe because they still have the bloom on them.

If you are incubating them, do not wash.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2011
  3. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    I just leave them in a bowl on the counter, unwashed. I only have four hens so the eggs don't last all that long anyway.

4. cravenchx

cravenchx Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2011
    Piedmont of NC
    I'm leaving mine sitting out, if I haven't used them
    in a week, I'll put them in the frig and wash before I
    use them.

5. loanwizard

loanwizard Chillin' With My Peeps

If you are selling them, most people rinse them off. When I first started, I would put them in a bowl and run water over them and soak them for 5 minutes and they came out Easter egg clean, then refrigerated them just like the store. Now, I just plop them in the carton. They last longer out I have heard than in the fridge, but around here they are either sold or consumed pretty quickly.

6. ChickiKat

ChickiKat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2011
    Eastern Kansas
    Mine are not washed and I keep them all in the fridge..

7. Toshi

Toshi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2011
    IN corn state
    I just run mine under hot water and if something is on them i rub it off under the water then right to the fridge they go.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2011
  8. Roy Rooster

Roy Rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2010
    Tennesee Smoky Mts.
    Quote:Yep, this is what I do to. I leave them sit out, I do a lot of baking and prefer to use an egg that is
    at room temp. If I don't use them in about a week or so I put them in the fridge. If they need
    some TLC I do that first because the eggs that are in the fridge are the ones that I give away.

If I get a cracked one I use it right away in a batch of cookies or something. I do not let those sit out
    nor do I put them in the fridge.

9. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    I don't wash the eggs, but I do refrigerate them.

I thought if you wash your eggs it was recommended to wash only right before you use them. Otherwise, the washing makes it more likely that bacteria will enter the egg.

10. reksat

reksat Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2011
    western,MD
    Normally i wash if they have poo on them,if not they go in a carton to the fridge then to the customers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by