Now that's a Guinea egg!

Discussion in 'Guinea Fowl' started by Steve_of_sandspoultry, Jul 17, 2010.

1. Steve_of_sandspoultry

Steve_of_sandspoultry Overrun With Chickens

Yesterday we got a huge guinea egg, it was a double yoker but still huge. We have jumbo pearls and they lay a bigger egg than normal.

[​IMG]

Quail egg on right, pheasant, rhode island red, turkey, peafowl

On top

normal size egg on the right, double yoker left.

Steve

2. damselfish

damselfish Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2008
    Southwest Missouri
    Quail eggs are so darned cute. I wish I could get a chicken that would lay a mottled egg like that.

Sorry, I know I'm off topic. That is quite a guinea egg!

3. bald k9

bald k9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2009
    Rural Edwardsville
    The quail eggs are cool looking, When i first got into chickens , I searched for chickens that lay speckled eggs and after about a month of internet searching we realized they were quail eggs in the pic that we seen , So dont i feel silly! lol, so now i have EE's for blue/green eggs

4. Cattitude

Cattitude Chillin' With My Peeps

I'd love a chicken that laid speckled eggs, too! Oh well.

I'm working on a flock of blue egg layers right now. We have guineas and brown egg laying chickens, and a couple of white egg layers. Only thing missing is a Marans/Welsummer. I'm having to sit on my hands so I won't order some chocolate colored eggs right now... designing a new coop and then I'll have room to keep a flock in style!

5. BC_Farms

BC_Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2010
    Enfield & Chaplin CT
    What a nice variety you have there [​IMG]

6. Steve_of_sandspoultry

We are knee deep in eggs here and raising. lol

7. tinychicky

tinychicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2010
    Hollis, New Hampshire
    wow that's huge! you have quite the variety of poultry there. do the peahens lay regularly? i don't have any experience with them.

8. Steve_of_sandspoultry

Quote:The pea's are seasonal layers. Ours start when it really starts to warm up good, June is peak here. We took them out of the breeding pens about 2 weeks ago and they are still mating some. The last couple eggs have been omlets. lol

Steve

9. m2wandc

m2wandc Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    we had (sadly the dog killed recently) a black sex link that laid big brown eggs, with dark brown speckles all over them...I figured it was some sort of mineral build up? wasn't sure, planned on asking BYC, but no point now since she's been consumed by the pain in the tush 9 month old border collie puppy we rescued!

10. Jeeper1540

Jeeper1540 Chillin' With My Peeps

i dont mean to gloat, but ive got a chicken that lays speckled eggs! lol

every so often i get a spotted egg. not sure who is laying them, but its only once in a while

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by