Now the babys are even getting bold (WARNING,GRAPHIC Content)

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by toredano, Sep 20, 2009.

1. toredano

toredano Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2009
    Grainger County,TN
    This little dude( or dudette)was trying to eat my guineas in the wee morning hours .Around 5 am I heard a noise and a BIG "clunk" One of my guineas that was roosting on top of the coop flew into my window . She is ok.. didnt get hurt .I looked over and here the possum was on top of the coop trying to catch the guineas and my 2 little roosters. Husband in his undies flew out the door and swiflty dispatched it via his mighty gun. He ,or she, is small.. not even cat sized. It was not able to catch any guineas tho.

I was just kinda suprised to see it this early.. usualy they come early at night or around 12 am or so.Prolly because it was young still. After that we looked for our birds and they where high up in the trees.. I hope they learned that its safe up there. Poor little rooster was sitting in the gras.. I picked him up and he let forth noises I never heard before.He was mortified I think.
    Sorry guys if this offends you BUT.. even the small ones have a hankering for poultry it seems. I wont have any of those nasty giant rats anywhere on my property.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. NewRIRMom

NewRIRMom Out Of The Brooder

Jul 16, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 20, 2009
  3. the4heathernsmom

the4heathernsmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2008
    east texas
    Don't feel bad for protecting your guineas. We have done the same. If it was edible I am sure you would have eaten it lol!!!! Sometimes you just have to do what you have to do. Is it any different when a predator makes a kill and doesn't consume it? To me not......hmmm some would sure be offended if they were to see my husband's wall oops did I say that out loud ? Sorry...[​IMG]

4. ZepChick

ZepChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    coos bay OR
    Wild animals do have a right for life, until they try to kill your chickens. I think you guys did the right thing, I would not hesitate to protect our birds. From my experience, using a deterrant (or thinking it won't happen again) is not always successful and you can end up losing birds in the process. He/she would have possibly returned with his family of more hungry possums.

5. toredano

Apr 26, 2009
    Grainger County,TN
    No offense taken.You can voice your opinion all you want.All I am doing is protecting my flock with what I can.Amonnia doesnt work around here.. neither does bleach, loud noises or anything else you can think of. And the " other " options dont work either,.I refuse to relocate or catch any vermin, predator to have it " rehabiltated " to go off somewhere lese to cause problems.

I do lock up my flock.Usualy.But I am trying to get them to roost outside for now.We are building a huige enclosure and they have to stay outside for a few days until its finished.I might lose one or 2 but if i can prevent it.. I will.
    I dont care if the racoons or possums or wild dogs etc come onto my land. I have more bullets for them.
    The reason of this post was because I am kinda suprised that it came at this hour.Not a usual time for them to show up here.I dont care what creature it is.I dont care what people think where it originated from.This isnt about " gods creatures" as you put it. And it isnt about who was here first.I am Apex, my property, my choice. This isnt the first or last possum, or coon or whatever happends to come onto my land to take out my flock. And it wont be the last time I will kill it. These things are nasty huge rats.

6. colby318

colby318 got 'dottes?

Jul 14, 2008
    Stamping Ground, KY
    I used to think that way until my hens were attacked by some of God's creatures and ate them. Now, my dogs and my shotgun protect what's mine.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 20, 2009
  7. wannabe_goatmom

wannabe_goatmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Wellington KY
    I've been wanting to get some quail but have been afraid of this same thing. Around here it is raccoons though. Sometimes killing them is the only option, if you trap them and take them off then they will only become someone else's problem.
    I have a neighbor who traps them(raccoons) and then gives them to his friend so he can train his coon dogs with them. To me it is more humane to go ahead and kill them then to let someones dog torture them.
    Don't feel bad for what you did, they are probably more upset with your signature line than with you for killing an opossum.

8. toredano

Apr 26, 2009
    Grainger County,TN
    Quote:[​IMG]

But.. but.. I did rescue a wayward boxturtle from certain death off the road a few days ago.
    And I even picked up a snake baby I thought needed help across my driveway. Was a teeeny ringneck.. but it was allready dead. [​IMG]

I guess hunting for sport to hang up onto the livingroom wall is different eh? Maybe next time I get a possum or coon head stuffed and hang it onto my wall.. [​IMG]

9. the4heathernsmom

the4heathernsmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2008
    east texas
    Yep I read it. We are still talking predator some choose to kill (I am one of them) some don't. I always say different strokes for different folks it does not matter. Whether you choose to believe in a god or not doesn't really play into it in my opinion. And yes we too have had to shoot a possum in the middle of the day a coyote too!!! I agree and you better watch it because there are probably a whole lot more of littermates from this one. I am in Texas but if they are hungry they will come and the momma probably showed them the food source.

10. buck-wild-chick

buck-wild-chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2008
    Hamilton C. FL
    You did the right thing.He had already found your coop and was planning the attack.
    Good Job [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by