Now this IS funny!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by gritsar, Jan 17, 2011.

1. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    One of my turkens, Mandi, decided to join my newest broody, Ellie Mae, on the nest. My SD#1 came out to the coop to help me prepare for moving Ellie Mae to her own broody box.
    An egg fight ensued between Ellie and Mandi over the eggs that were in the box.
    We were rolling with laughter watching them fight over them. Mandi would reach under Ellie with her beak and scoot an egg out. Ellie would squawk and steal the egg back. They fought like that for a good 20 minutes or so. [​IMG]
    I finally put my brave on and grabbed Ellie and moved her to her new housing for the next 21 days.
    Now all I have to do is hope that Mandi just wants to sleep in a nestbox tonight and is not going the B word. [​IMG]

2. Judy

Judy Chicken Obsessed Staff Member Premium Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Pretty soon we'll need to change "stop the broodies" to "overrun with chicks." The broody disease here is obviously a different strain because it's not contagious. My barely-old-enough-to-lay mutt is still my only broody. Not only that, daily checks reveal only her original 7 eggs, no extras. I think she's too mean to let anyone in there to lay with her, and evidently she doesn't believe in stealing others' babies. Well, at 0-3 eggs a day from the flock, maybe she just can't find them.

3. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:I think it's definitely contagious here. [​IMG]

4. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    I think so Gritsar, seeing as how your DH has gone broody, too.....................

5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    I think that Mandi is the last. At least I hope that Mandi is the last.[​IMG]

6. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:You better be gifting the broody gods big time to make it stop! [​IMG]

7. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    This IS funny!! Wish another one of mine would go broody.. [​IMG]

8. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Quote:Great. Thanks. Now I have Barry Manilow in my head all night. [​IMG]

9. Attack Chicken

Attack Chicken [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Hu

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    Ah the broody virus...Got it here to.First 1....then 2...and now 3... There is no cure for it except to just let it run it's course [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    I am so tired of broodies. [​IMG] As soon as one girl stops then the next is ready to brood. At my house the scary mean hens are the first time broodies. [​IMG] I have beat them about the beak (not really)in order to collect eggs. The Silkies are at least rather sweet when I reach in and grab the eggs. I don't have a rooster so I don't need any broodies. [​IMG]

Gritty; Best wishes on your broodies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by