Now, we have a 6 week old completely GONE

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by wrestling_mom, Sep 5, 2011.

1. wrestling_mom

wrestling_mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2011
    Henderson County, NC
    Now, in addition to what happened here https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=567094
    we have a chick completely gone. The young are in a separate coop type enclosure, made of heavy plywood sides, wood and wire floor, and a metal roof. The older birds are down below, on the ground, enclosed with wire. The ones that have died were in a completely different pen about 15 feet away. No rat trouble with this pen.
    We have had a rat problem, with eggs disappearing, from the big pen in question now but never had anyone to disappear from the top without a trace. We have looked, and can't find anyholes or breaches. The only thing I can think of is at the very top, maybe a 1 or 2 inch space ahere the roof meets the wood frame. Could something get in and back out without causing a ruckus? We have heard no new noises at night.

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Yes, a smaller rat or a weasel can easily get through a 1"opening. The rule is 1/2" hardware cloth over every opening.

3. Achickenwrangler#1

Achickenwrangler#1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2011
    west virginia
    ditto

4. wrestling_mom

Jun 3, 2011
    Henderson County, NC
    [​IMG] I didn't realize that those could climb back up a wall. We will fix that pronto!
    Thanks for all of your help:)

5. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    without a trace

A weasel can't kill and eat a 6 week old bird and not leave lots of evidence

Sounds more like a 2-legged predator​

Last edited: Sep 5, 2011
  6. wrestling_mom

Jun 3, 2011
    Henderson County, NC
    As in a person? That's kind of creepy, given what we went thru several weeks ago. ( A man was standing RIGHT outside our 14 yr old daughter's bedroom at 11 pm, and scared her so badly that we left for nearly a week while husband set up some outside security lights.) We don't live in a highly populated area, we have an acre and a half, but I guess someone could wander up in the night, but they are thirty feet or less from the house, wouldn't that cause a ruckus?

7. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Not sure about what got your bird but I would close the gap & put a lock on the door.

8. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I was only answering what could go through a 1" opening. Not sure what actually took your chick, could have been a person, sure. We've seen lots of chicken theft lately, but why a person would take just one chick is odd to me, unless it was a kid.

9. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    If it was a Weasel every bird in the pen would have been dead. They don't stop killing 'till there's nothing left to kill.
    To me, it seem unlikely that a person would have taken one 6 week old chick. Had it been a person I expect more than one would be gone.

10. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    To me, it seem unlikely that a person would have taken one 6 week old chick

Any other predator would have left some evidence.
    The OP says "no trace".​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by