1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Now what....can this be fixed?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by scrapmom5, May 7, 2008.

1. scrapmom5

scrapmom5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2008
    Utah
    I was checking in on my 7 week old hens and noticed one that had a broken toe. Tiki does not seem to be bothered by it. She eats, drinks and jumps around just like her sibs. I did notice her sitting a bit more than the others. She does not react at all when I touch her toe or when she jumps and lands on her feet. Is this something I should worry about? I believe my 5 year old stepped on her about a week ago. What do you all think???????

Tiki standing on the foot

[​IMG]

Pic of broken toe

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. peruvian_princess

peruvian_princess Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2008
    Fayetteville, Georgia
    ewww that looks like it hurts!

3. jeaucamom

jeaucamom Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2007
    Ophir, CA
    Are you sure this just happened? She could have had a curled toe from birth that just didn't straighten out. We had a Welsummer that had the same thing and she walked around on it like nothing was wrong. If you are sure it is new, maybe try gently manipulating it and see if it will straighten, like a dislocation. And then possibly splint it. Good luck and keep us posted.

4. scrapmom5

Apr 21, 2008
    Utah
    She doesn't seem bothered by it at all. Should I bother the toe if it doesn't seem to bother Tiki? She still runs and jumps and flies. Oh, I am so worried about her.

5. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

As long as she's getting around, I wouldn't mess with it...My Light Brahma hen had only 1 straight toe between both of her feet and she got around okay.
    It's probably a hatching defect or something genetic.

6. FrontPorchIndiana

FrontPorchIndiana Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2008
    Indiana
    I have the same thing with one of my 7 week old roos. I never noticed him having a crooked tow until about a week ago. He walks around on it just fine though. How is yours doing?

7. scrapmom5

Apr 21, 2008
    Utah
    My hen is doing just fine. She doesn't even notices she has a problem. In fact she runs faster than some of the other hens. LOL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by