Now What do I do?........Broody hen left her nest.....

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by bloom chicks, Apr 4, 2012.

1. bloom chicks

bloom chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2011
    FL
    She has been acting broody for a few days. Yesterday I decided to give her eggs.... She stayed on them all day and night then this morning she got off the nest so I figured she was just going to do her thing and get back on. One of my other girls sat on the eggs for a bit so I thought they were going to share the nest. Well the other decided she didn't want to.... so ok no big deal so I was waiting for the "broody" to get back on....... needless to say she didn't so I put the eggs under my other broody for now..... The problem is her babies are going to hatch a week before the other eggs are ready........ I don't have another broody hen at the moment or an incubator either. Should I go ahead buy an incubator or wait until I have another broody......And if I should buy one which one should I buy.... I really don't want to lose the second set of eggs....... I know nothing about incubating eggs I have always used broody hens. Any and all advice is welcome and greatly appreciated........Thank you so much.......

2. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    They get off the nest at least once a day to eat drink and have huge poop. It should be okay.

3. whytedragon

whytedragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2009
    Floresville, Texas
    Id pull the other broody's chicks as they hatch and keep her on the other hen's eggs. Should work

4. bloom chicks

Jun 6, 2011
    FL
    That is what I thought she was doing this morning. She would have been my 5th broody.. ........ She didn't even lay an egg today...... she is walking around doing the normal chicken thing and hasn't been back in the coop all day.....[​IMG] She is however calling like the other mama's do when they call their babies and gets all fluffed up when another chicken gets too close to her like she is protecting something.....

5. bloom chicks

Jun 6, 2011
    FL
    Will she be ok to do that, that would make it 4 weeks that she would be sitting.

6. bloom chicks

Jun 6, 2011
    FL
    My other concern is that Lily the current broody now has 13 eggs under her......

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by