1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Now what do I do?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Alleyoops25, May 15, 2007.

1. Alleyoops25

Alleyoops25 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2007
    Colorado
    I was browsing the past messages and some body was talking about taking thier incubated eggs out of the egg turner be it was time for them to start hatching. My nieghbor whom I have gotten the incubator from has always left the eggs in the turner and let the chicks hatch out like that. SO now my question is which do I do? Does it really matter one way or the other?

2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Some people take the turner out to prevent the newly hatched chicks from getting tangled in it.

3. Critter Crazy

Critter Crazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2007
    Binghamton, NY
    I wouldnt feel comfortable Leaving the turner in, as it is far too easy for the Chicke to get caught, and break a leg or something.

4. Alleyoops25

May 14, 2007
    Colorado
    Well I think I will be adventurous and give it a try this way..the last time I tried to hatch I didnt like seeing the little guys climbing around the turners. Now I know this is a dumb question but does it matter what way I have the eggs laying out of the turner?

5. Critter Crazy

Critter Crazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2007
    Binghamton, NY
    I alway place mine on their sides.

6. jimnjay

jimnjay Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Bryant Alabama
    Eggs naturally tilt with the small side down and that is the way they should be set to help the chick position itself to pip into the air cell. If you have any egg that is more oval or round, you can prop it slightly on the side of the incubator of place a pipe cleaner by it to help compensate. Mama hens do the best hatching of any method known and the eggs just lay on their side under her. I always try to duplicate as much as possible what a mama hen does.

As to the turner, it is best to take it out. I have heard of many who had early hatches and the chicks got tangled up in the turner.

7. Alleyoops25

May 14, 2007
    Colorado
    Thanks JimnJay, and everyone else for you info. The hatch date is on the 23rd . I am not getting my hopes up to high because my first hatch did not go well at all. but i am keeping my fingers crossed that they will do well. But if not I am going to try agian ( I always hear that third time is a charm.)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by