1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

now what? Look at this messed up comb - PLEASE

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by math ace, Dec 17, 2010.

1. math ace

math ace Overrun With Chickens

Dec 17, 2009
    Jacksonville, FL
    So, my rooster was too rough with my little leghorn and injured her comb.
    This has happened with my other birds before and the combs healed normally.

This girl has been in isolation for 2 weeks. We tried neosporin on the wound, but it got caked with dirt the next day.
    The wound has what looks like white SCAR tissue.

It just doesn't look right and I don't know what to do.
    Please, let me know is wrong and what I should do.

[​IMG]

2. Lesa

Lesa Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2008
    Upstate NY
    My guess is that the wound is healed and that is what you are going to be left with. Does she seem fine otherwise? Eating, drinking, laying? I'm sure others will chime in.

3. oldchickenlady

oldchickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2010
    Cabot, AR
    Have you tried cleaning it up any? If washing it gently with warm soap and water doesn't make it look better, then I guess it is scar tissue, but it could be infection under the scab. I would try to wash it good then re-assess the situation (if you haven't done that already). Maybe if you kept her in a dog crate after cleaning it up, it would keep the wound cleaner. You might have to hold a warm wet washrag on the comb to soften up the scab enough to see if it is healing or infected. If the scab comes off and it doesn't look like new skin growing, but looks like pus or anything abnormal, I would retreat with the antibiotic cream and keep her in a crate so you can doctor it every day.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2010
  4. math ace

Dec 17, 2009
    Jacksonville, FL
    This chicken Squarks her head off EVERY DAY she is kept in the dog carrier. I bring her in at night and treat her and then release her to a quaratine pen outside during the day time. She is eating and drinking and laying just fine. I get almost an egg a day for the last two weeks from her.

She starts squarking around 6 in the morning and does not shut up until she is released outside. She is quiet at night when I bring her inside.

I tried the warm wash rag thing a few days ago. She twists her head and has a blasted fit over the rag on her comb.
    She has that "thou shan't touch me" thing that leghorns are know for [​IMG] So, I couldn't get it very c;ean because dumb dumb would not co-operate with me!

5. Lesa

Lesa Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2008
    Upstate NY
    My bet is she is fine. Look at it this way, I have a bunch of chickens with perfect combs that haven't laid an egg in months... I'd keep an eye on it, but if it was infected she would be moping around, not screaming her head off! Good luck!

6. math ace

Dec 17, 2009
    Jacksonville, FL
    Quote:Sounds good to me. She went outside today and dug a REALLY BIG HOLE. She laid in it and then threw dirt on her back. . . She is the nastiest looking chicken you have ever laid eyes on, but she is a DREAM when it comes to laying eggs [​IMG]

7. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    It's going to take a while to fall off because that is a big thick scab, but nothing to worry about. You could try to soak it off, but I don't see the point if she's going to scream the whole time you are doing it. Let it go.

Good luck with her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by