Now what should I do?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by KeMe, Jun 27, 2016.

1. KeMe

KeMe Out Of The Brooder

Dec 8, 2015
    I have 2 hens who insist the it's their nest. I just found 2 baby chicks in the nest and both hens are claiming ownership.

[​IMG]
    Should I take the chicks away so that they won't smother them? Or should I just take a chance it that they chicks will be okay?
    This is really weird.

2. SueT

SueT Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2015
    SW MO
    I once had two hens share one chick (only 1 egg hatched.) It worked out just fine with those particular chickens.

3. CluckerCottage

CluckerCottage Chillin' With My Peeps

Mama hens know best.
    It's ok[​IMG]

4. KeMe

KeMe Out Of The Brooder

Dec 8, 2015
    Will the hens feed the chicks or do I need to give them some chick starter? If I give the chicks the chick starter won't the hens eat it up before the chicks get a chance to eat it?

5. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    Give them all chick starter or a flock raiser feed. They should have enough that they can eat all they want.

6. KeMe

KeMe Out Of The Brooder

Dec 8, 2015
    Am I supposed to take the chicks out from under their mom and feed them in a brooder or will she feed them and kick them out of the nest later?

7. FarmerMac

FarmerMac Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2014
    Virginia
    I would separate the hens, give one the chicks that have hatched and let the other one sit on the rest of the eggs so she can have her own. I have found squashed chicks when other hens try to ley eggs where the broody is sitting. let mom teach them to eat whatever you feed tehm.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by