Now what?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by mangled, Aug 3, 2010.

1. mangled

mangled Chillin' With My Peeps

Okay, I just shot a dog. Didn't know it was a dog at the time, don't flame me for it.

Heard a ruckus out by the coop and looked out to see a flash of white fur and chickens running everywhere. I told the kids to stay in the house and headed out with the 30.06. Came around the coop to see a dead chicken and the white hind-end of what I thought was a coyote heading out into the woods. Got a shot on him with the rifle and dropped him.

It wasn't a coyote, it's a white German Shepherd. Still alive but gut shot, I put him out of his misery. A 30.06 does a fair amount of damage, no matter where it hits.

The closest neighbor we have is 2 miles down the road - literally. I wouldn't know where to start finding his owners and he might likely be a drop-off. Sure was a good looking dog.

What would you do? SSS, go knocking on doors, or wait for a knock on the door looking for a missing dog?

Darn dog. I sure wish he'd have been a coyote. I feel bad. Never had to shoot a dog before.

[​IMG]
    Em

2. MMPoultryFarms

MMPoultryFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2010
    Okarche Oklahoma
    SSS Imo if he was uncollared probably a stray drop off desprate for food. If you see any flyers around town of a missing shepard I would perhaps call the owner and explain. Other then that sounds to me like SSS.

3. Debbi

Debbi Overrun With Chickens

May 2, 2010
    Missouri
    Personally, I'd take pics of the damage, and wait. If someone comes to you and asks if you've seen it, I'd pull out the pics and tell them, yes. Tough to shoot a dog, I know. [​IMG]

4. mchl

mchl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2010
    bury it deep dont talk about it

5. mangled

That's what I was thinking. Can't do anything until my husband gets home.

I've shot coyotes. opossum, deer, coyotes ... no problem ... but man, shooting a dog really sucks.

Em

6. bambi

bambi Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Mo.
    I agree with previous post. take pictures of damage done and wait it out. I'm sorry this happened to you, it must be hard but if the owner comes looking for the dog it may help them come to terms especially if you have pictures.

7. lynxs1981

lynxs1981 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2010
    You killed a dog, yes, But it's still a matter of protecting your property. I would have done the same thing.

8. mangled

Pictures taken, he got my last 2 leghorns and a RIR pullet. Dang it.

My turkey went bad this morning, too. What a miserable day. Blah.

Em

9. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I'm so sorry you lost birds and had to deal with the aftermath of shooting a dog which had turned predator. It sucks all the way 'round. I hope you can get over the hump of feeling bad about doing what you had to do to protect your flock.

10. Debbi

Debbi Overrun With Chickens

May 2, 2010
    Missouri
    A predator, is a predator, is a predator! The only thing that makes this harder is that it probably had a name. He was still killing your livestock, and should be seen as what he/she was, a predator. I'd have done the same thing, as I'm sure quite a few of us here would. Don't beat yourself up, you were protecting your pets/livestock. He would've been back too..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by