Now What???

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by duckking, Feb 1, 2011.

1. duckking

duckking Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2010
    Cascade Foothills, WA
    Reintroduced Foghorn to the other 3 hens after being apart for 10 days. She exerted her dominance over the lowest on the totem pole, so they are fine now. The 2nd hen is being dominant,. but not very aggressive. The lead hen is jumping on her back and attacking her. Of course Foghorn thinks I'm her buddy now, so she keeps flying onto my shoulder to escape. Took a page out of my duck 'book' and separated the 2 aggressive ones into a dog run in the chicken run. They can see each other and interact, but no one can attack. Foghorn and Jean are free to roam. This worked perfectly with my aggressive duck. Problem is what do I do now? I have to put them back in their coop tonight and not sure how to manage that......let the free hens go in and put the aggressive 2 in after dark or put Foghorn in a dog carrier in the coop at night after dark so she'll just settle in in the carrier? If it was warmer, I'd leave it the way it is, but it is really getting cold tonight and I don't like them out of the coop.

HELP!!!!!

2. duckking

Sep 2, 2010
    Cascade Foothills, WA
    It's getting real cold and dark now....any suggestions?

3. FuzzyButtsFarm

FuzzyButtsFarm Rest in Peace 1950-2013

You have to step back and let them work out a new peeking order. You could take the aggressive hen and isolate her for a few days but in the end they still have to work it out for themselves.

4. duckking

Sep 2, 2010
    Cascade Foothills, WA
    They were all out together and I understand the order has to be reestablished....it's having them together in the coop at night I am worried about. It's a big coop and only 4 hens, but I'm afraid that my GLW who is huge, will keep attacking her, especially in closer quarters.

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Let whoever is in the coop go to sleep, then put the ones you seperated on the roost. They're stupid when it's dark and they're sleepy. No fighting at night [​IMG]

6. duckking

Sep 2, 2010
    Cascade Foothills, WA
    I ended up separating them in the coop. Put the 2 aggressive hens in a caged off area with food, water, treats and nest box. The other 2 hens have the run of the coop with own food, water, treats etc. Both of them are laying, the others are not. The 2 RIR's are fine together. Even the Delaware (Ghost) is ok, more ostracizing Foghorn than attacking her, but I left Ghost in with my aggressive GLW, Makarov. Had Ghost and Makarov separated from the RIRs all day, but as soon as they were together tonight, Makarov attacked Foghorn again. I'm going to leave them separated for a couple of days. Will let Ghost, back out and then Makarov a couple of days later. Hopefully she won't show the aggression any more. It worked with an aggressive female duck I had, hopefully will work for the chickens as well. I don't mind them establishing a new pecking order, but I have a problem with my GLW jumping on Foghorn's back (a RIR), clawing her and pecking her head. Makarov is HUGE and Foghorn isn't small!

Keeping my fingers crossed. Luckily the ducks, 5 of them, are totally oblivious except when the chickens were fighting. They usually all live very happily together. Once the ruckus started, the ducks all went into their house. "OK....we are NOT getting involved in this!"

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by