1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Now What???

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by cboriskin, Dec 7, 2011.

1. cboriskin

cboriskin Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2011
    My Orpingtons are 12 weeks old and have been living in the coop since 5 weeks old. My Barred Rocks are about 7 weeks old and have been living in a dog cage in the house. I have the heat lamp on the Rocks 24/7 and have raised it so it's not so intense. Questions: When can I introduce the Rocks to the Orpingtons (weather has been in the 30's at night. I put the heating lamp on at night)? Do I still need to leave the lights on for the Rocks if they are indoors? When do I change their food and/or introduce them to other kinds of food? I tried cooked oatmeal and they didn't touch it. I gave them cilantro and they didn't like that either.

2. BlazeJester

BlazeJester Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2011
    Midway, GA
    Mine were pretty ornery about treats until about 14 weeks - they wouldn't take anything but rolled oats (uncooked).

I would integrate them sooner than later. You'll start noticing pecking order establishment soon with your 12wk olds and they should ideally be introduced and living together before that really takes off so the others are a part of the original pecking order.

3. johnson215

johnson215 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 7, 2011
    bunnlevel, nc
    i've been raising chicks for almost 4 years and the chicks always integrate real easy... i was always worried about the bantams but i would put them in with the old hens and they were fine.. they just stayed out of their way,,, and they had plenty of space so i think that is why it always worked... they were probably a couple months old they grow so fast!!! there definitely is a pecking order they learn!!!!!

4. cboriskin

Nov 5, 2011
    So, even if the weather is in the low 30's its okay for the younger ones to go out? They would be in an insulated coop, but just wondering. Also, I plan to put their cage in the coop for a couple of days so the other ones can get used to them prior to me letting them co-mingle. Do you think this is neccessary?

5. johnson215

johnson215 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 7, 2011
    bunnlevel, nc
    i have a smaller coop along with a larger one and when the weather was colder i kept the smaller chicks with a heat lamp locked up in the smaller coop... i still worried about them but they did fine. As long as they have their feathers i'm sure they'll be fine..

6. cboriskin

Nov 5, 2011
    Ok...they will go out this weekend.

7. It would be in your (chicks) best interest to begin putting them outside during the day without a heat lamp to adjust to the climate. If you take them from inside your house WITH a heat lamp and plunk them in the coop at night when it is 30* outside they will surely be peeping the heads off and freezing their butts off. Take away the heat lamp. For goodness sakes their 7 weeks old they should tolerate it just fine. And then get them outside for a few days before putting them in the coop. Chickens are resilient but don't give them too much of a temp swing as this can make them sick.

8. cboriskin

Nov 5, 2011
    Thank you for the tough love. I needed that. So, I will turn off the light as of tomorrow morning. As for the chickens in the coop, should I turn off the heat lamp 24/7? I've been turning it on at night.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by