Now What ?

7L Farm

Songster
9 Years
Jul 22, 2010
Anderson, Texas
I have two flocks. One flock has 10 Hens & are the mothers of the second flock. I had to kill the roo that lived with the ten hens. Anyway, my second flock has 16 hens which as mentioned are the off springs of the other flock. I want more chickens so I got another roo & he lives with the 16 hens. I let them all out at the same time,
The problem is Red Ryder my only roo likes the 10 mature women better than the 16 hens. I think he wants to move into their coop. I thought for sure yesterday evening he was gonna move in but he went back to roost with the 16.
I need about 30 more pullets for my new coop I'm building. I don't think all the eggs will be fertile. So, yall think I should just find 30 more chicks & a few more roos are try & hatch my own eggs?

I'm thinking for sure you at least need to get another roo or two. Whether or not you buy 30 chicks or try to hatch out from what you've got now depends on how soon you want to fill that new coop, and if you want them all the same age or not.

If he couldn't get to the 10 mature ladies then he'd make do with the younger girls. It could be that he's simply trying to make them part of his flock and they don't respect him that much yet. So they are getting all the attention right now. You're likely going to have to buy chicks unless you can pen him with less than 26 hens at his disposal in any event.

You may be able to guess what I'll say. Whichever you want. Both approaches work. But I'll suggest a third.

Have you checked to see how many of the eggs are fertile? You might want to check by flock too. If they are free ranging together, you might be surprised how many of the eggs really are fertile. And you might be surprised at which of the hens are laying fertile eggs.

That 10 to 1 ratio is for the pen breeding scenario, not one rooster free ranging with a flock of hens. Don't make negative assumptions. Break some eggs and look for the bull's eye. Then you are dealing with facts, not assumptions.

You may be able to guess what I'll say. Whichever you want. Both approaches work. But I'll suggest a third.
Have you checked to see how many of the eggs are fertile? You might want to check by flock too. If they are free ranging together, you might be surprised how many of the eggs really are fertile. And you might be surprised at which of the hens are laying fertile eggs.
That 10 to 1 ratio is for the pen breeding scenario, not one rooster free ranging with a flock of hens. Don't make negative assumptions. Break some eggs and look for the bull's eye. Then you are dealing with facts, not assumptions.
Thanks RR I think your right its my mind wondering. I do want more red chickens. I was thinking of my third flock of being a different breed maybe Doms but I really just need to push on with breeding my own flock & hatching from them.Looks like eggs for breakfast & I'll check for the bulls eye. The less than a year old cock seems to manipulate & mate the girls. Seems the older girls which have lived with a roo in the past are an easier target for the boy.

I don't see anything wrong with hatching some and picking some extras up at the feed store or ordering some to raise with them. Just get your timing right so they are the same age. That's the best of both worlds. You get more red chickens and some roosters to eat and get some new breeds that look different for variety in your flock.

LOL. Ever notice how it's the one guy that says the "right" thing that gets heard? Sure, he's busy and a lot are going to be fertile. Just not the ones you WANT to be fertile if the others are getting the attention.

Thanks yall. I'm weird I like red chickens. I have 25 red hens & one rescued dom hen poor girl but she does fine & red ryder my new cock. My bator only holds 40 eggs & I need 30 pullets & a couple more cocks. So, hatching the eggs which I will ain't gonna fill the coop. And yes RR your right I want them to be as close as possible in age. I think I know where I can get some young red chicks. Guess, I need to finish my coop first. I'm getting closer but its a big sucker & I'm a one man band here at 7L.

Back
Top Bottom