Now what? :)

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by RubberDuckee, Sep 23, 2012.

1. RubberDuckee

RubberDuckee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2012
    Tennessee
    Well, I had a surprise waiting for me this morning when I went to let "my girls" out of their stall this morning...

AN EGG!

I ASSUME that it is a regular infertile egg. I picked it up and put it in the refrigerator... I THINK that is what I am supposed to do....?

I have 3 mallard hens. They are just ovre 5 months old. I wasn't expecting eggs so soon. So far there are 2 eggs and I am not even sure which one of the girls is doing the laying.

After I saw the egg I put a few buckets in their stall and filled them with hay... It was in "impronptu" approach since I had not planned ahead.

As my ducks are only just over 5 months old, I am still a "new egg" to this whole thing too. So, I have a few questions and would very much appreciate any help! [​IMG]

1. How long does it usually take the mallard hens to lay the full clutch?

2. Do I just pick up the eggs and put them in the refrigerator like I did with the 2 eggs from today?

3. Where are they supposed to lay? Do I leave their stall door open during the day in case they want to fly back to the barn to lay an egg, or do I put some sort of "nesting area" up here at the house?

4. Since the ducks are mallards and are free to roam and do not have clipped wings, should I candle the eggs to make sure the eggs are unfiertile?

5. Is it okay to eat the eggs????

6. WHAT DO I DO???

7. WHAT SHOULD I EXPECT TO HAPPEN OVER THE NEXT FEW DAYS/WEEKS....??????????

Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by