NPIP certification

I Love Layers

Crowing
5 Years
Apr 25, 2015
So I'm starting a new approach to my flock.
So I'm going to have layers, but also sell chicks out of them locally, to make more money, and maybe eventually become a poultry breeder
I'm getting the following breeds.
And I know Whiting True Blues are not APA standard

Ameracauna:
a.Currently have 5 hens
b. Want 4 more hens and 1 rooster

Silver Spangled Hamburg:
a. Want 9 hens 1 rooster

Black Australorp:
a. Want 9 hens 1 rooster

Marans
a. Want 4 hens 1 rooster

Whiting True Blue:
a. Want 9 hens 1 rooster

Silver Laced Wyandotte:
a. Have 2 Hens
b. want 3 Hens 1 rooster

Barred Plymouth Rock:
a. Have 2 Hens
b. Want 2 more hens

But its recently come to my attention that I may need to become NPIP certified.
So if I'm just selling chicks locally. Which I've done before. Do I need to be NPIP certified to sell chicks locally.
I'm also wondering what the process I need to go through is. And where I would get started to get certified

Whether you need NPIP to sell locally depends on your state.
In MO, one is SUPPOSED to be NPIP to sell any birds or hatching eggs in state.
NPIP is required for sales across state lines.

NPIP certification is normally a simple process. It is a national program but administered by states, so each are different.
In some states a percentage of all birds on site need to be blood tested. In MO, every bird over 4 months needs a test.
The tests are annual and the same month every year. Some states have a cost, some are free.
The basic certification is only a Pullorum-Typhoid test. Other tests are available at additional cost.
Some states also require a flock to be AI free for importation.

Just google, your state and NPIP for the rules.

I have some comments on your breeds and plans. You can do it that way and many people take that approach.
However, if you want truly great birds, you need many more of each breed. To improve a breed, you need to hatch aplenty and cull hard. You also should have more than one line of each breed.
My recommendation is to focus on one or two breeds. You can have others but starting out, unless you have lots of housing and lots of help, choosing too many breeds will water down your program and approach.

Keeping a single rooster will fertilize eggs but not give you options for improving the breeds. Unless you have perfect housing conditions, you may lose roosters, to predators and disease. Then what?

What is your approach for keeping the breeds separated?

Last edited:
They will free range until chick season comes around and I have breeding pens and I'll go from there

They'll have to be separated a month prior to setting eggs.

Yep
1f609.png
I just need to build 2 more breeding pens

We can sell chickens and chicks without NPIP in NC up to, I believe, 499 dollars. After that, if the number is correct, it isn't a hobby anymore. So, check your state laws.

Back
Top Bottom