NPIP certification?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Lovemy3hens, Nov 13, 2010.

1. Lovemy3hens

Lovemy3hens Out Of The Brooder

Nov 13, 2010
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Exactly what is NPIP certification? My 3 girls came with one and I've tried researching it online without much luck

Last edited: Nov 13, 2010
  2. rarebreedeggs4u

rarebreedeggs4u Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2009
    Morrow, AR
    Here you go [​IMG] http://www.aphis.usda.gov/animal_health/animal_dis_spec/poultry/

In the National Poultry Improvement Plan, a farm is certified as free of Pullorum Typhoid, Salmonella Pullorum by a simple blood test done on each and every bird and swabs from your incubator(s). Many states also offer or integrate Avian Influenza testing as part of their program. In many states it is very inexpensive to test and be certified, in a very few it's quite expensive.

Birds, chicks and hatching eggs are NOT allowed to be shipped across state lines without a NPIP certification or a 90 day PT testing certificate (for birds). Thousands of people do it every day, but it's still technically illegal. When I ship chicks or birds, my NPIP # is in bold numbers, on the box. All of my eggs, chicks and birds are shipped with a copy of my Arkansas NPIP certification.

Once you are in the program, a smaller percentage of your birds have to be tested each year. As an NPIP certified facility (blood tested & inspected for conditions & care), I may only buy from other NPIP certified facilities OR the birds must be tested and forms filed with my State office regarding their place of origin, testing date and date they were added to my flock. I took a half day course locally and was certified as a State Liscenced Private PT tester, so I can buy from non-NPIP flocks, test the birds and bring them onto my property. I am required to keep accurate records of ALL of my sales and purchases to present to my inspector at the time of my testing, or at any other time when requested. It has forced me to keep MUCH better records than in years past, which is a good thing.

My NPIP certification was well under $100.00, for 150+ birds. I'll have well over 300 this year. My private testing class was less than $50.00. The antigen and testing supplies were well OVER $150.00 though. It's worth it to me though to be able to add the occasional "perfect bird" I find [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 13, 2010
  3. robin416

robin416 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2007
    It depends on the state you're in on how many they test and the cost. Each state has a slightly different way of implementing it. In TN its 25 % of anything over six months. If TN finds a bunch of positive tests then the percentage of how many they test goes up. The cost is nothing if you don't want to be certified, 25 if you do.

4. Scotster

Scotster Just Hatched

Apr 9, 2014
    Winchester, TN.
    So, it would only be a requirement if you are shipping across state lines? Shipments within your state would not require NPIP certification? Tennessee specifically, as I am located there.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by