1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

NPIP certified with Free Range Guineas?

Discussion in 'Guinea Fowl' started by racuda, May 3, 2011.

1. racuda

racuda Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    North Carolina
    I have 35 free range Guineas and would like to be NPIP certified. Most of them roost in trees and it would be almost impossible to catch them all for testing. Is anyone NPIP certified with free range Guineas and how did you handle this dilemma?

2. MuranoFarms

MuranoFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Boyers, Pa
    Your going to have to catch every one of them for your first set of tests. After that I think its only 30 birds each time.

Good luck!

3. Anianna

Anianna Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2010
    N/E of Richmond, VA
    I'm not sure I understand the purpose of certification and testing. I've read in several places that the pullorum and typhoid the test is designed to check for hasn't been seen in any significance for decades. Is there something else being tested for now? It seems like a waste of money and effort to me, unless there is something I'm missing.

4. cgmccary

cgmccary Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2007
    NE Alabama
    It is the first year I have had Guineas and I was at a first-time new location for the testing. I have 14 free ranging Guineas but they come in the coop most nights. It was not necessary to test every one of them -- only a percentage (I forget the number but perhaps 5-7 of them). Before letting them out in the morning of testing, the NPIP tester and I caught the ones to be tested in the coop. Once tested, I would put that one out so we would get a different one. With my 4 geese, I think he tested two.

They also test for avian flu (not all but just some) -- also not seen here. Arianna, you are correct in your reasoning; however, believe it or not, many, many folks won't buy eggs, chicks or birds unless you are tested. It also can be used at the poultry shows in lieu of having your show birds stabbed at the show.

5. PeepsCA

PeepsCA Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2011
    Big Oak Valley, CA
    Quote:People that want to legally ship eggs, chicks/keets and adult birds out of state must have NPIP certified flocks, state requirement.

6. Mofarmgirl

Mofarmgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2010
    S.E. Missouri
    Each state has different requirements. For example, in Mo waterfowl must be tested also but in some states they dont. Also first timers here have to catch everything, then only so many per year thereafter.
    My guineas also roosted with chickens at night so I don't know how you'll ever catch them all lol. Maybe get as many as you can each night until you get them all? I would ask the tester if you have to before I attempted it [​IMG]

7. Anianna

Feb 28, 2010
    N/E of Richmond, VA
    In starting our chicken/guinea flock, I have discovered that several hatcheries will not ship to VA because of some additional test that most states don't require, so I can see where certification would be useful in that respect. If you have no intentions of shipping out of state, is there any reason to be certified?

8. cgmccary

cgmccary Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2007
    NE Alabama
    Anianna:If you have no intentions of shipping out of state, is there any reason to be certified?

Three other reasons I can think of:

If you plan to show your birds, it saves you a lot of hassle.

If you want to sell your birds, a lot of people,in-state or not, won't buy from you.

Also, here in Alabama, if you are NPIP, and you have a bird to die, the State will examine it & test it for every disease known to fowl, FREE. It is invaluable for keeping one's imagination & panic from running away with you. They send you a full report (actually two reports, an initial one and the the final, more thorough one).​

9. racuda

racuda Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    North Carolina
    Quote:People that want to legally ship eggs, chicks/keets and adult birds out of state must have NPIP certified flocks, state requirement.

That is the reason I was interested. Also people that have a NPIP flock can not buy eggs from a non-NPIP source.

10. Anianna

Feb 28, 2010
    N/E of Richmond, VA
    Quote:Three other reasons I can think of:

If you plan to show your birds, it saves you a lot of hassle.

If you want to sell your birds, a lot of people,in-state or not, won't buy from you.

Also, here in Alabama, if you are NPIP, and you have a bird to die, the State will examine it & test it for every disease known to fowl, FREE. It is invaluable for keeping one's imagination & panic from running away with you. They send you a full report (actually two reports, an initial one and the the final, more thorough one).

Thank you, and I apologize for highjacking the thread. As you were! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by