1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

NPIP certified

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by bunch-a-chickens, Dec 8, 2007.

1. bunch-a-chickens

bunch-a-chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2007
    Claiborne County Tn.
    O.K., i've edited everything out so the answers i've gotten so far won't make sense, which is why you won't have to waste your time reading them. How do I get NPIP certified????????????

Last edited: Dec 9, 2007
  2. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    If you emailed them, then they should email you back on Monday.

3. bunch-a-chickens

Nov 23, 2007
    Claiborne County Tn.
    Do you know if this is like NPIP? what are the requirements to to get certified? Will this be for adult birds too?

4. CovenantCreek

CovenantCreek Chicks Rule!

Oct 19, 2007
    Franklin, TN
    I don't think it covers NPIP -- your birds have to be tested for a couple of diseases (can't think of the names right now, pullorum might be one), and come back negative before you can get that. I just emailed the same person yesterday, as well as the one who handles permits for selling food from your farm. I don't think either of those ladies is directly involved with the Animal Health program. I think I emailed someone at the state vet's office a few weeks ago trying to get information about NPIP but haven't gotten anything back.

5. bunch-a-chickens

Nov 23, 2007
    Claiborne County Tn.
    Ignore all above answers

6. CovenantCreek

Oct 19, 2007
    Franklin, TN
    Quote:From what I have been able to find out so far, you have to contact the state vet's office. I did that a few weeks ago by email and have gotten no response. You may want to try calling, perhaps you'll get farther -- let me know if you do. The number in TN is: 615-837-5120.

7. bunch-a-chickens

Nov 23, 2007
    Claiborne County Tn.
    thank you. do I need anything else to be able to ship live birds?

8. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
  9. CovenantCreek

Oct 19, 2007
    Franklin, TN
    Quote:This is from the TN Dept of Ag web site:

The animal health unit is also charged with the responsibility of enforcing the laws and rules regulating interstate and intrastate movement of animals... Animal health import entry requirements for animals to enter Tennessee or any other state may be obtained from the United States Department of Agriculture's State Regulation Retrieval System at any time by using a touch tone phone and calling 1-800-545-8732 to follow the voice response instructions.

I also found this at the bottom of their FAQ page:

How do I have my poultry flock certified in the National Poultry Improvement Plan?

Certification in the National Poultry Improvement Plan requires that your flock be tested for Pullorum-Typhoid disease. Department of Agriculture personnel will come to your farm to conduct the certification testing.

10. bunch-a-chickens

Nov 23, 2007
    Claiborne County Tn.
    O.K. well how do I get them out here?

Last edited: Dec 9, 2007

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by