NPIP for quail?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Bettacreek, Mar 25, 2009.

1. Bettacreek

Bettacreek Overrun With Chickens

Jan 7, 2009
    Central Pennsyltucky
    So, I've heard about people having to have their stock NPIP tested in order to ship eggs/birds, but does this count for buttons and coturnix?

2. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    yep im getting mine NPIPed but im waiting until my marans are old enough so i can do it all together...well unless my buddies (certified testers) wanna come twice by all means they can![​IMG]

it costs gas to and from and their supplies and it's worth it [​IMG] I'm either paying cash or chicks [​IMG]

but yeppers coturnix can be tested and im sure that means buttons can be too unless they're too tiny to get a good enough sample from without harming them.

If you have i think it's less than 30 birds all the birds have to be tested. So the majority of my coturnix will be tested as will all of my marans. [​IMG]

If you have any other questions about NPIP for PA i can pester Sam (quailhollowp&p) for help LOL!

3. Bettacreek

Bettacreek Overrun With Chickens

Jan 7, 2009
    Central Pennsyltucky
    How much does it usually cost per bird, and what all do you have to do? I have way less than 30, so I'd have to get them all tested.

4. monarc23

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    Quote:per bird I dont think it works that way. Kev (quailhollowp&ps) fiancee said gas to and from, supplies, time and shipping the samples off to the testing facility is what needs to be paid for [​IMG]

All birds have to be breeding age or 4 months old whichever comes first.

5. patyrdz

patyrdz The Madd Hatcher

Feb 26, 2009
    Southern Pines, NC
    Wow you have to pay alot there! I had mine tested today and I paid 10 cents a bird! $9.00 all together. They tested all my birds that were 16 weeks and up, including Valley quail.

6. monarc23

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    Quote:yeah i even heard some testers are free but these guys charge I thikn they should be allowed to charge though for what they have to do [​IMG] 10 cents per bird would add up if there was a huge facility of birds but for small flocks i can see why they'd want to charge for gas etc [​IMG]

7. Lophura

Lophura Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    Holden, Missouri
    Quote:According to our NPIP here in MO, all galliformes - domestic and wild - over a certain age, must be tested yearly and anseriformes, just once. Our little buttons are included in the yearly test, much easier to handle than an adult peacock!!

I didn't realize other states charge for the testing.

Dan

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by