NPIP Renewal Time - Should I renew? Do/did you?

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by DawnSuiter, Jan 24, 2010.

1. I'm a NPIP participant and suggest you stay one too

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. I'm a NPIP participant & wish I had never joined

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. I WAS an NPIP participant & regret NOT renewing

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. I WAS an NPIP participant & I think you can let it go

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Get the 3 hens anyway & get them tested

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Get the 3 hens anyway & forget renewing

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Don't get the 3 hens & only buy from NPIP breeders!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. DawnSuiter

DawnSuiter Chillin' With My Peeps

February's end marks my renewal time in the NPIP program. I'm not sure if I should renew or not and would like to hear some oopinions from those of you who HAVE been in the NPIP program or ARE in the NPIP program and have made this decision.

I have wanted to get a few new birds, but I can't because the only NPIP sources I'm finding are hatcheries. I gave away my 2 turkey hens to get eggs from a gal who was going to get into the program but she hasn't. I found 3 perfect hens to add to my flock but again.. NO NPIP status.

I DID it originally to make it easier to ship eggs across state lines, as well as to make it easier when my daughter shows so we don't have to do the P/T test onsite, just show our card. I also did it because I feel like it's a sales point, as there are so few of us apparently with any stock to sell.

I think I am going to get the 3 hens anyway... keep them separated and IF I decide to renew, I'll just have my guy out asap to test them & everyone else. Other birds from this farm have been tested in the past by way of their new owners and passed just fine, but the actual farm does not do the testing so there is no guarantee.

2. Funky Feathers

Funky Feathers former Fattie

Jan 15, 2009
    Maryland
    My Coop
    I just did. I renew every year in January. They came out, tested my birds, inspected the farm & house (we hatch & brood inside), and gave us our permit. AI results should be in Monday. My tester was even nice enough to do a urine culture on my dog! Anyway, we passed the inspection w/flying colors. [​IMG]

3. DawnSuiter

Thanks Fattie

Now if only the 2 who selected "Other" were to elaborate on that......

4. Rock N' Faverolles

Rock N' Faverolles Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2009
    I used to be a NPIP tester and you don't have to buy from NPIP just because you are. As long as you test the birds when you get them, and keep them under quarantine for a little bit, you will be safe.

5. Funky Feathers

Funky Feathers former Fattie

Jan 15, 2009
    Maryland
    My Coop
    My tester here in MD frowns on that. They gave me h*ll last time I did that. I have to quarantine new birds that ARE NPIP tested before I get them. Maryland is funny about it. [​IMG]

6. Rock N' Faverolles

Nov 8, 2009
    I was a tester in Iowa. But had to give it up when I moved out of state.

7. australorp_breeder

australorp_breeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2009
    California
    What's NPIP? National Poultry Inspection _______? Or am I totally wrong there?

8. DawnSuiter

Quote:Well I quarantine as a general rule of thumb anyway, so the NPIP wouldn't make a difference there. Heck, I got birds from my club President early last year... still quarantined them [​IMG] There are tons of other things not tested for that I don't want to spread around.

They are a whole different breed too, the ones I want to get, so it's not like I can slip them through. But things are generally more relaxed here, so I might get away with taking them on and having him out right away.

Worst case scenario though... they test positive (even false positive) for P or T and he has to destroy ALL OF MY CHICKENS [​IMG]

9. DawnSuiter

10. Rock N' Faverolles

Nov 8, 2009
    Unless I'm mistaken, if your birds test positive, they don't destroy them immediately, but quarantine the entire flock and then retest.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by