NPIP testing scheduled - UPDATE- I was tested today Post #9!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by kuntrygirl, Dec 14, 2010.

1. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    I have the approximate date for the NPIP testing for my flock. It will be the first part of January 2011. The guy on the phone explained the process to me. He asked how many birds did I have and I told him. He said that he will have to test a minimum of 60 chickens because I have so many chickens. I explained that I have other animals as well (ducks, geese, turkeys and peafowl). He said that he will need to test some of them as well. He said that the process is very easy and that I will get the results on the spot. He said that if everything turns out ok, then I will receive my certification number and my name will be placed on the list as being NPIP certified. I hope everything goes as easy as he explained. He ended by saying the testing is FREE.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 20, 2011
  2. BayouPoules

BayouPoules Chillin' With My Peeps

That's great kuntrygirl! I hope all goes well that day [​IMG]
    ETA nice website!

Last edited: Dec 14, 2010
  3. kuntrygirl

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    My NPIP testing is scheduled for Thursday, January 20, 2011. I'm nervous. Wish me luck! [​IMG]

4. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    I've been thinking about doing that but man.. catching all them birds!! [​IMG]

5. crazyhen

crazyhen Overrun With Chickens

Aug 26, 2008
    mtns of ,NC.
    Had mine a month ago. All was well . My NPIP testing is also free. When they came I got them to do other testing as well and paid for that . With the salmonella outbreak I wanted to be sure they were clean.
    I think it does make us feel better and we are registered but it does not insure that our flock will be clean a week from now. Gloria Jean

6. kuntrygirl

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Quote:I have thought about it for a while and finally made the decision. As far as me and catching the birds........ I'm set up to where everyone is locked in either a chicken house, a chicken coop or my chicken stalls at night, so I will keep them locked in until the inspector comes out first thing in the morning on the morning of. They will still have access to food and water in their respective sleeping quarters. As he tests them, I will release them 1 by 1 into the chicken yard, which is about 1/2 acre area. Below is a few pictures of my chickens coops. I have several more but this kinda gives you an idea of what m setup looks like.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. kuntrygirl

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Quote:Congratulations on your testing! How long did it take? How many birds did you have to have tested? Were you nervous? What all took place during the testing? [​IMG]

8. crazyhen

crazyhen Overrun With Chickens

Aug 26, 2008
    mtns of ,NC.
    Quote:Congratulations on your testing! How long did it take? How many birds did you have to have tested? Were you nervous? What all took place during the testing? [​IMG]

First I was nervous the first time. I caught each bird in the coop. He pricked a spot under the wing for blood. He tested for some thing there and took samples back with him. Also he swabbed their throats. I was give out. I found the tester to be really patient and helpful. I am in the testing for the avian flue program as a tracking for when and if it enters the us. My hens are confined to a long ourside fence covered run. I wish it were covered period. Oh well. You will be fine. [​IMG] gloria Jean

9. kuntrygirl

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    The inspectors came over this morning from about 9:30 AM - 10:30 AM. It was a total of 3 men that came out to do the testing. I kept all of the birds locked up in their coops and houses from the night before, so that we didn't have to catch any of the birds. He only tested a percentage of the birds that were 1 yr and older. The younger ones didn't have to be tested. He tested a total of only 54 chickens, 1 turkey and 2 ducks. All of the animals that were tested PASSED !!! YEA !!!!!!!!! [​IMG] He gave me my certificate and said that he would send off the other information. He said that I would receive my certification number and card in the mail. He said that he would come out yearly to test only 10% of my flock. I'm so glad that it's all over with. I can't wait to get my certification number. [​IMG] [​IMG]

I was confused about a few things that I have read online prior to getting NPIP tested from other posters, so I asked the inspector, who is an actual Vet, about rules and regulations for the State of Louisiana.

The questions that I asked him related to information from these posts from other BYC'ers in other states.

I wanted to clarify answers pertaining to Louisiana. I know that all state laws/rules are different, so I am posting this information for Louisiana.

If you get NPIP certification then you are agreeing to only purchase birds from NPIP certified sources

This is NOT true for the State of Louisiana. He said that I can purchase birds from anyone that I wanted to. After going through this testing, I wouldn't risk it. But anyway..........he said that if i want to purchase birds from non-NPIP flock owners, then I can call him and he wil come out immediately to test the birds. There will no charge.

if you have a sick bird and are worried that it might be something that could infect your whole flock, you can call the Dept of Ag,

This IS TRUE for the State of Louisiana. He said yes, that I can call the Dept. of Agriculture if I have a sick a bird that needs to be tested and there will be no charge.

Once you are NPIP you can only purchase chicks/birds/hatching eggs from other NPIP breeders and you need to get either a vs 9-3 form, a copy of their certificate or their number

This IS NOT true for the State of Lousiana. He said that a person who is NPIP does not have to ONLY purchase chicks/birds/hatching eggs from other NPIP flock owners.

Chicken folks often carry avian illnesses on the cloths and shoes, so when they walk around their farm, step in a poop pile, then come see you, they are now tracking their bird problems into your soil, so the NPIP say NO you just have to run a closed facility after certification.

This IS NOT true for the State of Louisiana. He said that you DO NOT have to run a closed facility. Although, I won't have others in my pens. Too risky.

after NPIP certification you are supposed to run a fully closed facility, period, no visitors.

This is NOT TRUE for the State of Louisiana. You can have visitors at your facility.

that the birds are banded as they are tested

No birds were banded. We held them until the results showed up on the testing board. After the results showed negative, we released them and picked another chicken.

You do need to be NPIP to sell eggs/chickens

This IS NOT TRUE for the State of Louisiana. You DO NOT need to be NPIP to sell eggs/chickens.

As I stated above, this is only for the State of Louisiana. All states will be different. Check with your local inspectors for the rules/laws/regulations in your state.​

10. ParadiseFoundFarm

ParadiseFoundFarm Goddess of Good Things

Jul 6, 2010
    Joliet, IL
    Thank you. !
    Very informative. I am getting tested in Illinois and later certified to be an " independent tester". (we need those here for the difference in laws) Warning: the laws, at least in this state of Illinois are different but what the OP put down is a great guide!
    Thank you again kuntrygirl!
    PS LOVE LOVE LOVE your set-up [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by