NPIP testing today...lots of blood. I'm glad I don't show my whites!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by PamB, Apr 20, 2011.

1. PamB

PamB Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2010
    Dayville, CT
    My husband was home today when the testers came to test my flock and when I got home from work I was shocked to see how much blood is all over them! Especially the white silkies. How do you handle it if you show the whites? I don't show them, but I was wondering about those that do. Does the blood wash off in the bath? I really wish they used a needle and drew the blood, they slice them under their wing and the blood gets all over them.

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Use some hydrogen peroxide on a cotton ball; it will fizzle away the blood.

3. robin416

robin416 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2007
    If the tester and the holder know what they're doing there should not be that much blood. Once in a while you'll run across a bleeder, there isn't much to be done for that except hold the wound until it quits.

Doing a veinus stick on a black skinned bird is very difficult and time consuming and considering only a drop of blood is needed it would be very expensive to do.

4. PamB

Jul 20, 2010
    Dayville, CT
    Thanks for the advice, Speckled Hen.

Yea, I figured it would be expensive and difficult to do on a dark skinned bird. Some birds have more blood than others. I have a white one that her entire side is covered. It just makes me sad to see them like that.

5. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

They sliced the birds? Here they stick them in the vein with a needle.

There was quite a bit of blood when they did mine last friday. I put one girl in the coop, got the next tested and then put than one in the coop. When I put the next one back there was a big nasty puddle of blood in the shavings. Suprised it didnt die.

6. PamB

Jul 20, 2010
    Dayville, CT
    Quote:They use what looks like an exacto knife and cut under one of the wings. I'm probably being a big baby about it, but these little guys are like pets to me and it was hard seeing that for the first time. I had them tested once before, but it was only a couple birds that I was going to show and neither bled too much. I guess I just have to toughen up. I like the hydrogen peroxide idea. I may have to try that. I feel like I need to give a massive bath to the entire flock! Haha. That would take me quite some time though.

7. pinkwindsong

pinkwindsong Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2011
    Laurens SC
    this is horrible
    can you request the way the test is taken surly they dont need that much blood.
    i was looking and trying to decide if I wanted to go to the classes and get certified. Im thining I should just to make sure thatt this is done correctly. wow
    thanks )O(
    Pink

8. Germaine_11.20

Germaine_11.20 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2009
    Idaho
    When I had to bleed my birds for the NPIP I chose a different route. I put them in a killing cone and pierced their comb with a sharp sterilized needle and took the drop there.

Plenty of blood and yet within a few days there was nary a sign of where I had pierced. I was able to do it by myself also which helped me save time.

9. PamB

Jul 20, 2010
    Dayville, CT
    Quote:Like I said, maybe I'm overreacting. I probably need to toughen up a bit. I'm sure they know what they are doing. It is just hard to see your "pets" (which is what mine are like to me) go through that. I don't even like when my dog has to get a shot. I do wish there was an easier/better way to test them. But, like Robin said, the dark skin on the silkie makes it tough. They are very nice, informative people that come out to test. I don't mean to say they are doing something "wrong" because I don't believe that is the case. I just don't like that my babies have to go through this. However, I suppose it is a small price to pay to ensure our flocks are healthy.

10. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Quote:They use what looks like an exacto knife and cut under one of the wings. I'm probably being a big baby about it, but these little guys are like pets to me and it was hard seeing that for the first time. I had them tested once before, but it was only a couple birds that I was going to show and neither bled too much. I guess I just have to toughen up. I like the hydrogen peroxide idea. I may have to try that. I feel like I need to give a massive bath to the entire flock! Haha. That would take me quite some time though.

Yowza! I would have passed out if they started slicing the birds. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by