1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

NPIP testing

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Senna95, Sep 11, 2011.

1. Senna95

Senna95 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2010
    Woodland
    has anyone been through this process?

We had the state vet here last Friday to do NPIP testing on our ducks. I was very nervous at first, but in the end it was a very nice experience. The guy was friendly, knowlegeable, and EXTREMELY helpful. I got a lot of good advise and information and NO LECTURES!! We will get our results sometime next week.

In february I will have my chickens tested as well (they were still too young this time).

2. newbyduckmom

newbyduckmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2011
    Snohomish County, WA
    NPIP testing?

3. Senna95

Apr 6, 2010
    Woodland
    Stands for National Poultry Improvement Plan. They test for certain diseases that affect poultry and/or humans.

Most large hatcheries are certified. Most small back-yard flocks are not.

You have to be certified in order to sell hatching eggs, chicks (ducklings), and/or adult birds accross state lines. Also it's a good idea if you show your birds and expose them to others.

The down-side is that once I get certified I can no longer purchase birds from non NPIP certified flocks. But now that I have (almost) all of the colors and breeds I wanted, I decided it was time to bite the bullet.

4. newbyduckmom

newbyduckmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2011
    Snohomish County, WA
    Thanks for the information...and hello from a bit north of you!

5. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Yes, I went throught the testing. I'm NPIP certified.

6. KansasKid

KansasKid Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2010
    South East Kansas
    Ok i have to ask,

Do they test all birds on your property.
    a few out of each enclosure?

or how do they do it?

7. toadbriar

toadbriar Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2010
    central massacheezits
    My state doesn't test waterfowl. Woo! off the hook.

8. Senna95

Apr 6, 2010
    Woodland
    Well, every state is different. Here in Washington they test a percentage (25-30 %), and they devide it up with a few samples from each enclosure. They only test for avian influenza on ducks, which is free...... I think it's a federal program that pays for it.

9. Chinchilla2

Chinchilla2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2011
    Red Rock
    This is something I need to have done soon. Right now all I have are chicks so I'm holding off until I get a larger coop and run completed and everyone outside. While I have no plans at present to sell the eggs or show my babies, I would rather get it done and never need the certification than never get the certification and need it.

10. dwhite

dwhite Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2011
    It sounds easy to do, the problem is I don't know of a single call duck breeder around me that is NPIP so I would be essentially cutting off my ability to get new blood.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by