NPIP testing

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by mstricer, Oct 21, 2011.

1. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    I will be getting my birds tested on Monday, when I talked to the very nice lady, she explained how the first two #'s are the state you live and the last are, what number you are, that has been tested, I will be in the 500's, I find it weird that not more people do this. If you haven't why? That's not a accusing question, sorry if anyone takes it that way, Maybe its a government thing that you don't want them knowing your business, maybe too expensive (that is what I thought at first) It really isn't. It will cost me just 35$ for both the Polonium and AI testing together, I don't have to pay for the mileage either if I have both done. I wanted to sell hatching eggs and chicks and that is why I'm doing it. I'm just a tad bit nosey, so Please don't take my question wrong. Inquiring minds wants to know.
    Michele

2. mstricer

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    I guess I'm just being nosey, sorry
    Michele

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Okay, I'll bite. I don't do it for several reasons, the first of which is that NPIP basically tests for two diseases that have all but been eradicated already and are not the common issues in backyard flocks. NPIP was created to protect the food supply, not to certify backyard flocks healthy, which is does not do. I do believe it gives buyers a false sense of security, especially if they think NPIP means the flock they're buying out of is completely healthy. Of course, it does not since a flock can be NPIP certified and still be carriers of MG.

It can be of more use IF you have them test for MG and MS every quarter and pay that extra $$ to have them do so, but I don't find it of any use to me. If you want to be a breeder and ship live birds and/or hatching eggs across state lines, it is something you probably need, plus the extra permits some states require in addition.

I also don't like the idea of government intrusion into my business. Since my birds are primarily for my own enjoyment, I really don't need or want NPIP. That doesn't mean I won't do it some day, if my pal William will cruise up here from south GA and do it for me when he's in the area. I don't trust just anyone with my birds.

4. Warrprincess688

Warrprincess688 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    Danvers MA
    Mine get tested faithfully every year. Where I am from its free, that's partly why i do it. I also do it because I usually have 30-60 birds, if I have any problems the blood tested would tell me.

5. mstricer

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:Cynthia,
    I might sound dumb but I'm still learning, what is MG and MS stand for? [​IMG]
    Michele

6. Elite Silkies

Elite Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    Mycoplasma galliscepticum and Mycoplasma synoviae

7. mstricer

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    Thank you, they sound serious will look it up.

8. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

They are part of Chronic Respiratory Disease (CRD).

9. saladin

saladin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    the South
    Quote:I'm in agreement with the NPIP testing. It needs to be done if you are Showing or Shipping birds: otherwise you are just wasting your time. I honestly see no reason for the MG/MS test whatsoever as most flocks (especially those that free-range or are in close proximity to wild birds) are going to test positive.

Other than NPIP the only thing I would test for (and do) is AI as that is required by some states. This is a swab test that is done every 6 months. Again though as Cynthia stated there is no reason for it if you are not Showing or Shipping.

10. saladin

saladin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    the South
    By the way, the success of the NPIP program is in the fact that the two diseases tested for have been all but eradicated.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by