NPIP this morning...

Brunty_Farms

Songster
12 Years
Apr 29, 2007
Ohio
I'm getting tested this morning for NPIP... it cost me $50.00 for this? Other states have to pay as well?

I'm also getting tested for AI and MG as I would like to stay MG clean.

Very professional people... What are others experiences with NPIP?

I paid next to nothing, but I didn't do AI or MG...
Next year I'd like to do AI as well, so it might cost a touch more.

My experience was great, guy came over, nice guy... I caught them, he pricked them... a couple dozen chickens later, we're NPIP certified.

There was a bit of blood though on the porch & my hands.. next year I'll wear latex gloves
wink.png

Ya, I didn't realize how much blood gets everywhere. I gave them a table and they set it up in the driveway. This way nothing would get bloody except for rocks and a table I can rinse off.

They have to take 2cc of blood to do an MG test on chickens.... that's a lot of blood for a chicken don't you think?

They have to come every 90 days to do this in order for me to have an MG Negative flock. This is going to be an interesting task in the next few months.

The pollorum is so easy, you could do it yourself if you had the equipment.

All they are doing is pricking the bird and rubbing it into a solution. If it stays clear your ok... if it gets a peppery look to it I guess that's bad...

Massachusetts is free NPIP--went very well. There was hardly any blood anywhere, maybe because he has been doing this for 20+ years. Glad I did it.
smile.png

I had seen a post a long while ago, and it seemed people were against this. Is this somthing we are supposed to do??? I have 9 chickens, I imagine I fall under the "independant flock" catagory. What exactly is this done for? i didnt see any further info on the web site listed, ...maybe I didnt look in the right spot??

It's for typhoid pollorum (sp).... I think it's mandatory to have this if you want to ship birds across state lines (or eggs).

All in all it's a good thing to have and it's only once a year. Mine was done through the Ohio Poultry Assosiation, I'm sure each state is different but they all report test results back to the NPIP.

Back
Top Bottom