1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

NPIP this morning...

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Brunty_Farms, Oct 21, 2009.

1. Brunty_Farms

Brunty_Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2007
    Ohio
    I'm getting tested this morning for NPIP... it cost me $50.00 for this? Other states have to pay as well?

I'm also getting tested for AI and MG as I would like to stay MG clean.

Very professional people... What are others experiences with NPIP?

2. DawnSuiter

DawnSuiter Chillin' With My Peeps

I paid next to nothing, but I didn't do AI or MG...
    Next year I'd like to do AI as well, so it might cost a touch more.

My experience was great, guy came over, nice guy... I caught them, he pricked them... a couple dozen chickens later, we're NPIP certified.

There was a bit of blood though on the porch & my hands.. next year I'll wear latex gloves [​IMG]

3. lovemychix

lovemychix Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2008
    Moulton Iowa
    I will be having it done soon. They told me 25 cents a bird.

4. Brunty_Farms

Apr 29, 2007
    Ohio
    Ya, I didn't realize how much blood gets everywhere. I gave them a table and they set it up in the driveway. This way nothing would get bloody except for rocks and a table I can rinse off.

They have to take 2cc of blood to do an MG test on chickens.... that's a lot of blood for a chicken don't you think?

They have to come every 90 days to do this in order for me to have an MG Negative flock. This is going to be an interesting task in the next few months.

5. Brunty_Farms

Apr 29, 2007
    Ohio
    The pollorum is so easy, you could do it yourself if you had the equipment.

All they are doing is pricking the bird and rubbing it into a solution. If it stays clear your ok... if it gets a peppery look to it I guess that's bad...

6. NatalieB

NatalieB Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2009
    Ashby, MA
    Massachusetts is free NPIP--went very well. There was hardly any blood anywhere, maybe because he has been doing this for 20+ years. Glad I did it. [​IMG]

7. NC Chicken Gal

NC Chicken Gal Out Of The Brooder

May 26, 2009
    Can someone please explain what this is?

8. Kathy1

Kathy1 Chillin' With My Peeps

I had seen a post a long while ago, and it seemed people were against this. Is this somthing we are supposed to do??? I have 9 chickens, I imagine I fall under the "independant flock" catagory. What exactly is this done for? i didnt see any further info on the web site listed, ...maybe I didnt look in the right spot??

9. Brunty_Farms

Apr 29, 2007
    Ohio
    It's for typhoid pollorum (sp).... I think it's mandatory to have this if you want to ship birds across state lines (or eggs).

All in all it's a good thing to have and it's only once a year. Mine was done through the Ohio Poultry Assosiation, I'm sure each state is different but they all report test results back to the NPIP.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by