NPIP with Serama housed indoors?

TinyTotsSeramas

Songster
8 Years
Jun 21, 2011
Smithsburg
Alright lets see if I can do this right with the new forum...

I know that becoming NPIP cert. that the Ag. Department has to take samples from your flock... Also I heard that they need to see the bird's living conditions.. Is that part true?
If so I have my Serama wintered over in my basement... Bedding is always clean, fed an watered twice a day... Would there be a problem with living arrangements? its only until Winter is over an we can get their coop set back up.

They are going to take swabs from your incubators and pens. They aren't there to judge whether or not your housing is humane. They are looking for disease.

Although, I wouldn't be surprised if they turned in anyone who kept their birds in awful conditions. At least, I hope they do.

Since the housing for battery hens is legal, I suspect that you will be perfectly OK with the inspection as long as your birds aren't covered in dry poop and stored hanging from the ceiling by their feet while half rotted dead birds are stacked up in the corner. Your place isn't like that? Is it? Then, you will be OK..

They are going to take swabs from your incubators and pens. They aren't there to judge whether or not your housing is humane. They are looking for disease.

Although, I wouldn't be surprised if they turned in anyone who kept their birds in awful conditions. At least, I hope they do.

Since the housing for battery hens is legal, I suspect that you will be perfectly OK with the inspection as long as your birds aren't covered in dry poop and stored hanging from the ceiling by their feet while half rotted dead birds are stacked up in the corner. Your place isn't like that? Is it? Then, you will be OK..

No, my pens are clean, they get fed an watered twice a day an the only pen that is "over crowded" is my youngster pen that I did that on purpose because of them being Serama an my babies being so small, I did that to give them extra body heat from each other. I lost 2 babies when I had them separated but when I put them all together they all did a whole lot better!

Back
Top Bottom